Home Buying in Purcellville>Question Details

Naptime4baby, Other/Just Looking in Reston, VA

What is the character of Purcellville? How is it viewed by locals?

Asked by Naptime4baby, Reston, VA Thu Aug 5, 2010

Answers

5
Vivianne Rutkowski’s answer
Naptime4baby,

The answer to your question depends on where your employer is located, the timing of your commute to work, and your willingness to sucrifice time spent with your family vs. more house for the money - be sure everyone in your family is on the same page regarding those issues, especially the last one.

The Center for Neighborhood Technology analyzed the Housing + Transportation Affordability Index, which examined 161,000 neighborhoods housing 80 percent of the U.S. population, and concluded that for most families, transportation is the second-largest household expense - see my April, 2010 blog:
http://VivianneRutkowski.WordPress.com

Purcellville is a beautiful area that offers the BEST of both worlds: proximity to Washington, D.C. and the serenity of the country lifestyle. However, the morning and evening commute can be quite brutal in Washington, D.C.

Purcellville is a great place to live if you do not have to commute during the rush hours or better yet, can work from home.

Let me know if I can help you to make an informed decision.

Vivianne Rutkowski
REALTOR, ABR, GRI, SFR, CDPE, CHRE
Licensed in Virginia
540.229.5429
VivianneRutkowski@MRIS.com
Hello, just to correct the information from the earlier answers, the second high school here (Woodgrove) opens this fall, so Blue Ridge and Harmony Intermediate will each serve grades 6 through 8. Loudoun Valley High school and Woodgrove will each serve grades 9 through 12.

Purcellville is definitely a smaller town; we have two grocery stores, some restaurants, several workout facilities, a dance studio, two coffee shops, and a great outdoor pool area (Franklin Park). The homecoming parade for Valley goes right through the heart of town...we have an annual holiday parade, and the town sponsors lots of activities throughout the year (outdoor movie night, town wide tag sale, etc).

I've lived in Purcellville for the last six years, so please let me know what kinds of activities you would be interested in, and I can share more specific information with you.

Cheers,
Heather

Heather Elias
Century 21 Redwood Realty
22075 Pipeline Plaza Suite 225
Ashburn, VA 20147
571-233-5491
heather@LoCoMusings.com
Licensed in Virginia
Web Reference: http://www.LoCoMusings.com
Great info from Lauryn. I was actually just showing in Purcellville yesterday. Because you're a little farther out, say than Leesburg (10 miles), one can get a little more for their money - and newer construction due to the building boom in the mid-2000's. And due to the downturn there are great deals to be had. The average price for a single family home in Purcellville today is $567,113, ranging from $345,000 to $1,125,000 - with a median build year 2002.

All my best,

Lisa Moroniak | REALTOR® | Service360°
Phone: 703-635-0388
Fax: 703-679-1701
http://www.LisaMoroniak.com
Licensed in VA
Purcellville is a nice area, not quite as dense as some of the more commuter friendly areas. There has been a lot of building out there in the past few years. Blue Ridge Middle School serves grades 6-7 and then Harmony Intermediate serves grades 8 and 9. These are both ranked an 8 out of 10. Loudoun Valley High Schools is located in Purcellville and serves grades 10-12. It has a great schools rating of 7 out of 10 which is pretty high. They have also had quite a bit of sports success in the last few years with the football and girls lacrosse teams. I noticed your other question about moving to the area, I would ask where your jobs would be and what price range you are looking under? Purcellville is a little farther out for a commuter standpoint however plenty people handle the commute for various reasons
Web Reference: http://www.greatschools.net
Are they considering building their own high school?