Home Buying in Kearny>Question Details

Person, Home Buyer in Kearny, NJ

What is the certificate of occupancy requirements in Kearny, NJ?

Asked by Person, Kearny, NJ Fri Jun 26, 2009

I am preparing to buy an one family house in Kearny, NJ and I want to know about how I could get a C.O.

Help the community by answering this question:



Agreeing with Alex, the homeowner is typically the party which obtains the CO. However, if its a foreclosure or pre-foreclosure (short sale) that you are interested in purchasing then sometimes it is the buyer's responsbility to obtain the CO. Your best bet would be to contact the town either via telephone or go there in person to find out what their requirements are for a CO. I've included this link for some of the forms but you must contact them directly in order to set up the inspection, etc. (most importantly the first form which is Application for Certificate and the third form Application for Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide). The telephone numbers are also on the forms. http://www.kearnynj.org/ConstructionDepartmentForms

In addition if you are the responsible party for obtaining the CO, the closer to the closing date, the more expensive the fee can be.

Good luck.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential NJ Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 27, 2009

CO is a certificate of occupancy. Every time a property transfers title, the Town must inspect the property for compliance with Zoning, fire code, safety and other issues. The owner of the property is the one that must apply for this inspection with the Town (or its agent). The buyer cannot apply. Let me know if you have more questions about this or other issues.
Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://www.EXITGOLDEN.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 26, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer