Kaity, Home Buyer in Chamblee, GA

What is the best way to go about finding a realty agent for a first time homebuyer?

Asked by Kaity, Chamblee, GA Sat Mar 2, 2013

Answers

14
I think the best way is to ask people you know in the area, who have bought a home in the area if they were satisfied with the agent they used. Just getting a referral from friends who know a broker may not be the best, they have not had personal experience with how they do business.

You may get some ideas of agents from Trulia, but actually it's a better place for a seller to find an agent. They can see how visibile they are on this web site, see if they have good answers to questions posted and not one line garbage replies. They can also see current listings that are not in contract and see how well they do with photography, descriptions etc. On Trulia don't be sold by VIP badges and especially not a PRO designation. The pro designation is truly misleading as a brand new or horrible agent can buy the PRO designation. It has nothing to do with how professional they are.

I also liked Dan's answer below and gave him a thumbs up. I think mortgage brokers advice for looking for an agent for a first time homebuyer is less valuable. I would find the right agent first who can recommend a mortgage broker who they know gets the job done well and does it with minimal fees a good interest rates.

Don Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Douglas Elliman Real Estate
http://www.nyhomeseller.com
http://www.donmituzas.com
Short, sweet and right to the point - Critical Steps for Successful Buyers - http://hankmillerteam.com/2013/03/23/critical-steps-for-succ…

Hank
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
I would recommend any buyer to talk with their friends, get recommendations, interview a few agents. research them online. try to find an agent that works the way you want to work. If you are a young "techy" person who hates talking on the phone, then you need to find an agent who is up on their technology. can do paperless transactions. that will text you and keep you up to date, the way you want to be contacted. Check them out on Facebook, fan page, twitter, linked in. Find an agent whos personality matches or at least meshes with your. we can't ALL be the perfect agent for everyone. I don't wan to be. I love to help people. But I like to work with people who are decisive. Know what they want, but just need to be shown options & guided. but can tell you when they don't like something.
I personally live, work and play in the Roswell are of North Atlanta. I have children in the schools here that I can help network with other parents to see if they have a house my new buyer may be looking for, that might not be on the market just yet...
The majority of buyers start their process online, so the agent may not even be the one who find that actual home for that buyer, but they are certainly going to be the one who makes that deal happen and negotiate the best deal possible. That buyer will need an agent to keep the whole process going. It's not just the selection of the house! You've got the loan, the inspection, appraisal, termite, stucco, foundation, HOA, and the list goes on and one. Finding an agent who works for the buyer and truly goes the limit and provides the best customer service possible is the way to go.

let me know if i can help anyone in the Roswell, GA area.

tania gardère macleod ARS, CDPE, Realtor ®
Harry Norman, REALTORS
C 404-964-2267
E tania.macleod@harrynorman.com
http://www.itstheperfectspot.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
Kaity -

Don is right in that this business is largely eyewash and nonsense hype. As things pick up we're seeing the return of "hack" agents and those that sell more hype than homes. The link below will give you seven questions to ask - very direct and pointed. When you hear the stammering or they change topics, move on. You can do via email as well - you should be demanding or you - not the agent - will suffer the consequences.

http://hankmillerteam.com/about-hank-miller/how-do-you-find-…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 3, 2013
I like your blog about finding the right agent. I have my own list which is very similar to yours, but perhaps is a bit too long. I like yours better in that it is easy and straight to the point. You are also so right about the hype. I remember one agent a few years ago promoting themselves as being in the top 1% of all agents in our MLS and an expert negotiator. Turns out he was in the top 1%...in RENTALS! He had virtually no experience in negotiating the purchase or sale of a home. He is no longer licensed in NY and I'm quite certain he has since spent time in federal prison. Watch out for the hype.
Flag Sun Mar 3, 2013
Kaity,
There are several ways to find an agent but I suggest you find a great agent. We are all licensed, but that is where the similarities breakdown. Some agents have lots of experience, but is it good experience that they've learned from or are they making the same mistakes over and over. Some agents are new and excited to show the world how to buy and sell homes, but they don't realize how much they need to learn.
Find a mix of experience, success, positive recommendations from others, knowledgeable and comfortable for you to work with. First time buyers have lots of questions that deserve answers. If you get brushed off or treated poorly for asking, that's not acceptable.
One option is to look at the local contributors here. Read their answers and their blogs, check out their websites and find out what you can about them.
Shopping for the right agent is the first important decision you will make on the way to home ownership.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 2, 2013
Dear Kaity,

I work in Arizona so I'm not soliciting your business, but here's my advice:
-First, see a lender and get yourself pre-approved for a loan.
-Then, try looking online at houses, but also at Realtor's websites, and open houses. Look for references or testimonials. You can also ask friends for referrals. Remember, you want an agent who knows the area where you want to buy, so focus on agents who work around there. This should allow you to narrow down the search to two or three agents.
-Next, call and make an appointment with each agent. Yes, this takes time, but you'll be glad you did. Ask them about their experience, and how they work with first time buyers. See how you connect with each agent. Comfort and confidence are important.
-Then, see which of those agents follow up with you, with a phone call, an email, a text, or even a hand-written note. Any who do not follow up within a couple of days of your meeting, write them off your list.
-You may want to go out for one home-previewing session with whomever is at the top of your list, just to confirm that this is the agent you want to work with.
-And finally, make a commitment to work with that agent exclusively. If the agent asks you to sign a buyer agency agreement, ensure you know how it works, and then sign it.
-Your agent should move into high gear at this point, and you should be well on your way to finding your new home.

Check out the link below to my recent blog post about home buying.

Best of luck, there are great agents out there, and I hope you have your new home soon!

Ann Griffin, Realtor, ABR, E-PRO, SRES
Coldwell Banker Trails and Paths
2913 N Power Rd., Ste 101
Mesa, AZ 85215
I can assist you I specialize in working with first time home buyers. I am an Agent with Global Brokers Realty. You can visit my website at http://www.atlantapropertiesinfo.com or call me direct 404-913-2199
Here I am!!!!!

How can I assist you with the purchase of your first home?

Laquita Baez
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metrobrokers
770.901.0956
http://www.LaquitaBaez.com
Check out the real estate pros on the "find a pro" tab in the green bar above. Read their profile. Or ask friends, family, or co-workers for a referral. There are many good real estate agents out there that will take the time and look out for your best interests.
Kaity,
The home buying process can appear very intimidating when you collect all the opinions from the internet, workmates, neighbors, friends and family. They tend to revel in repeating the horror stories. That could scare anyone.

Here is an extract from Don's response:
"I think mortgage brokers advice for looking for an agent for a first time homebuyer is less valuable. I would find the right agent first who can recommend a mortgage broker who they know gets the job done well and does it with minimal fees a good interest rates"

Get the job done is the essential goal. One time, under budget, without drama.
If the suggested approaches do not seem workable for you, drive the communities in which you have interest and record the names and numbers of those agents with their signs in the yards. They have already vetted the community and know what is and is about to appear on the market. These agents are busy, they ARE doing business, they will need to know you are serious regarding the purchase of a home. They are not in the business of Flailing about trying to make something happen. These agents know what they are doing..and those signs are the evidence. It not the only evidence, but is what you can easily see.

They, as responsible professionals, will ask you questions regarding your timeline and finances. Those who practice the 'Flailing about' method will forget this important step. When you decide upon the agent you want to represent you, sign the agreement and commit to maintaining a honest and respectful communication. Communication is ESSENTIAL! If you can not make up your mind, need to change your mind...that's ok. A real estate pro knows how to ask the intelligent, probing questions that lead you to the best version of yourself, where you can make the very best decisions.

Best of success to you.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420.4041

Scotsdale Home Tour:
http://youtu.be/XMLVEvPosHc
Geez. Not a single local response.

Trulia is a good place to start. These agents are constantly looking for new clients and, you can quietly review their answers, blog posts and profile without ever making contact. You may also want to check with family and friends for recommendations and then Google their names over the internet.. Some loan officers might also a good source of recommendations. Be sure to ask your own questions of the agent to make sure that you're a good fit.

Solomon Greene
Georgia Real Estate Brokers Associate, REALTOR®, Georgia Certified Affordable Housing Counselor, CDPE,
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
(678) 775-2677
Check local organizations, and trustable entities that endorse individuals that have demonstrated workin successfully with other people. I would suggest go to HUD page, find agencies that give workshops for first time home buyers and then chose from them. That would help you to be in a better position.

Blessings,
Look through Trulia profiles of agents in your local area. Choose two or three that you seem to connect with and have a couple of conversations to see which would be the best fit. Make sure to read recommendations from others as well--in particular, reviews written by first-time buyers.
I would ask people you know in the community if they know anyone good. I would say the most important thing is they are honest and a good fit for you. Make sure they are willing to go above and beyond.