Home Buying in Grapevine>Question Details

Agwiz90, Home Buyer in Grapevine, TX

What is the best way to get out of a lease. Contract said pay one months rent. Is this the best way. We've only been here 1-1/2 months

Asked by Agwiz90, Grapevine, TX Mon Mar 5, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Consult a Real Estate Attorney...Leases can somtimes be tricky...usually you can get advice from a title company attorney thats on staff. They can usually provide you with free advice on possible solutions.
If you need a refferal please feel free to call me I would be happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,
Sam Ghazaleh
Century 21 Mike Bowman Inc.
Cell: 214 213 6130
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
If have a 1 month "out" for a lease, you are very lucky. Does it mention anything about a written notice? How many days in advance does it require? Most of the time, you're on the hook for the whole lease period. We are not attorneys here, but I would get a written notice that you are released from the lease by way of that payment. Keep the cancelled check, and even write "payment in full accepted" in the memo section of the check. I know of many clients who were "told" they were not obligated on some fee from an apartment, only to find it on their credit report years later when a new management company took over.
But really, you might benefit from talking with an attorney. Again, this is not a legal opinion of anything on this site.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
No professional can render an opinion unless the entire executed lease is reviewed. However if that is what the terms and condtions state you are required to adhere to that agreement OR pay the fines. Unless property owner agrees to release you early.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
Your lease is a legal contract so ensure that you follow the terms so that you don't subject yourself to a legal proceeding. Having said that, try to discuss the particulars of your situation with your landlord and see if they are willing to waive some of the costs of terminating your lease early. If you feel that you have just cause for terminating early then you should contact an Attorney (or if you have any questions regarding the law or your lease).
Web Reference: http://MyProfessional.me
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
You'll need to refer to the lease. You may or may not be able to get out of the full lease.
You may be able to find a suitable sub-tenant to replace you, but again you will need to refer to the lease to see if that is possible, under what circumstances, and at what cost.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
First and foremost call your landlord and explain why you want out. Has your financial situation changed or is it something with the home itself?

They may be willing to work with you if you agree to do the marketing to find the new tenant. Obviously, they will run the application, etc like they did on you. But, if you are willing to take the stress of sign calls, showings, etc off their hands, who knows.

Luckily, homes in Grapevine lease rather quickly, so securing a new tenant shouldn't take too long.

Best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 5, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer