Chris, Home Buyer in 08054

What is the best way to find a good buyer's agent?

Asked by Chris, 08054 Sun Sep 1, 2013

Besides asking friends or family. The few people that I have asked have not recommended the agents they have worked with in the past. I'm trying to find an agent to help me relatively quickly.

Answers

15
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it was very helpful!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 2, 2013
I'd suggest talking to a few agents, asking them about their experience and asking if you can contact some of their past clients.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 2, 2013
I suggest you meet with a few agents having each show you 2 or 3 homes (not the same homes).
After seeing how they work you should have a sense of who you prefer to have assist. If an agent tells you every house is perfect and you should pay full list for each, run away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
It sounds as though the people you know who would not recommend the agent they used previously were not properly prepared or informed about everything the buying process entails

Generally speaking, surprises in a real estate transaction are not good. We can't prevent them all the time. but you should be well prepared for the process and know what to expect every step of the way from getting a good mortgage pre-approval to developing a budget and wish list, to looking at homes, signing the final papers and getting the keys. and all the details that need to be managed in between to get you through that process.

A good buyer's agent will make sure you know what to expect throughout the entire process and possess good communications skills, and be sensitive to the fact that you don't do this every day even though we do!

Good luck in your search and if there are any questions I can answer for you, please feel free to get in touch.

Barbara Smith
ABR, GRI, SFR
Weichert Realtors
Direct: 609-980-7593
5 Star Professional Top Realtor in Phila Mag 2012 & 2013
Facebook.com/BarbaraSmithRealtor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
You can look right here on Trulia. You can search for agents by location and check out the agents testimonials from clients. These are directly from clients that have worked with those agents.

Best of luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
I have been working in the tri-county (burlington, camden, & gloucester) area since 1997 as a lender. I attend all my settlements and could give you my list of agents who see the transaction through from start to finish. Some agents are good and some not so good. And it sounds like you need an agent who will not only be an expert at what they do, but they need to be efficient.

Let me know which area or areas you are interested in and I would be happy to refer you to a great buyer's agent! Feel free to contact me through my profile. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Chris, If you're still looking for a home call me and we can discuss what your looking for.

Barb S
Remax Main St. Realty
236W. Rte 38
Moorestown, NJ 08057

(856) 313-0088
Although you have 13 answers, the fact that you didn't pick a "Best Answer" is telling. Here are the SPECIFIC things you should do on Trulia to find a LOCAL EXPERT who you can TRUST:

1. Look for agents who are based in the county where you're looking to buy. For a town like Maple Shade you might make a list of agents in Burlington and Camden counties. You wouldn't put ME on your list, because I'm in Monmouth County.

2. Look at the Profile of each agent. Don't put a lot of faith in recommendations- no agent is going to post negative or lukewarm recommendations. Instead, look at "Homes I've Toured" and make sure the agent has visited the kind of homes you like in the towns you're considering and in your price range.

3. Look at the agent's contributions in "Trulia Voices". Do the answers seem trustworthy and provide real information, or are they just things like "I'd be glad to help"?

4. Look at the agent's blog posts. Do they provide useful, objective information? Does this sound like someone who could be your trusted real estate advisor?

5. Narrow down the field to 3 agents and set up short face-to-face meetings with each of them. Before you explain who you are and what you're looking for, the agent should give you a copy of the NJ Consumer Information Statement, and explain it in terms you can understand (all agents are supposed to do this, but you'd be surprised by the number who don't). Pick the agent who you feel is the best LOCAL EXPERT who you can TRUST.

Hope this helps.

Len
You can get a referral from someone you trust or check http://www.Rebac.net. This is the Real Estate Buyers Agent Council, great resource.

Chris
Accredited Buyer Representative
Licensed Associate Broker
REBAC is a great resource. I'm even a member. But be careful of the "FIND A BUYER's REP" link. Almost all of those agents work for companies that also list homes so you might be getting a referral to the agent representing the seller. In that regard REBAC's site is deceptive advertising because although you have a right to expect a buyer's agent if you click that link - that may not be what you get.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
You should try to find a buyers agent that works in the area you are looking to buy in. They will be most familiar with the inventory, neighborhoods, and market values. You can begin by looking through any of the major real estate web sites, enter the name of the town you are interested in and click find an agent.. You can then read the agent profiles and call a few to see who is the right fit for you and their availability.
You can search for an agent in your area using Trulia. Look for an agent that seems to be active in the market. (And opposed to a few agents below, don't neglect an agent that also lists property), why would you exclude a potential great agent, just because the also help people sell their homes? There are plenty of good agents out there, it would not hurt to call a few agents and speak with them briefly over the phone and see if you think you could work with each other.
If you have a choice why use an agent to represent you that may already be working for the company representing the seller. An exclusive buyer agent might not be available in your area but if there is you should at least consider them. Otherwise you needlessly open yourself up to no representation at all. An agent representing the seller can't be the buyer's advocate.
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
The operative words are 'buyer's agent'. Go to http://www.naeba.org to find good agents working for companies that exclusively represent buyers. If you choose an agent that works for a company that lists homes you can't be sure you will really have a buyer's agent because if their company listed the home you want to buy - they can't legally represent you as a buyer's agent.

NAEBA stands for National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents.

Good Luck.

NAEBA may even refer you to me since I am a member.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hello CMI,
Why not start by asking trusted family and friends who may have recently bought or sold a house. Good word of mouth can get you started on finding agent you would be happy working with over the next few months. Visit them at the office for an interview, as you will be hiring them to assist you in your home search. Visit a few and then choose the one that best matches your needs as a partner in finding your new home. Best of luck in this exciting adventure!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi again C, I would interview a few agents over the phone. Look for somebody who has the following traits:

-experience (# of deals/yr)
-advanced education (eg, a broker)
-works in the area you are looking
-can provide references of other buyers for you to call
-that you get along with and genuinely like (you're going to spend the next couple months with this person)
-are they a pillar in the industry (eg, maybe they're active in the local board, on the state board of realtors, or fly around the country speaking)
-they should be a tough negotiator

Hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
I would choose an agent based in the area you are looking to move. One thing you might try is to visit some open houses in the area you are interested in and take a minute to interview the agent hosting.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
I agree with Michael because you will have an opportunity for a first impression. Having an open mind is also important ask questions to see if the agent is attentive and responsive to you. Also don't be afraid to interview the agent right on the spot provided time allows, they don't even have to know. Prepare 5 questions that's important to you to learn about the agent, knowledge of the area, their availability as it relates to your schedule is also important. Best of luck
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013