Home Buying in Buffalo>Question Details

Cathy, Home Buyer in Ohio

What is the best suburb to buy in the Buffalo, NY area?

Asked by Cathy, Ohio Tue Jun 5, 2007

Answers

12
Hey Gang, I think Cathy has bought a home by now. This question was originally asked in June 2007!!!
Grand Island, Lewiston and Youngstown have excellent schools, great historic villages, entertainment, nice state parks, lower property taxes, and access to water.

David Stefik, Stefik Realty, http://www.stefik.com
Web Reference: http://www.stefik.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 12, 2008
It all depends on the price range, budget and requirements of the buyer. Is school a factor? Where is your daily commute going to be? Do you prefer a more rural setting or a older village to be in? Lots of factors to consider but price (per month) could be what will make your determination as taxes will impact your monthly housing expense.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2008
I think the previous post was a little bit more biased to the north side of Buffalo.

If you are looking for great schools...

Orchard Park
Williamsville
Alden
Clarence
Frontier (Hamburg)
East Aurora

The best public high school in the area is City Honors but you have to live in the City in order to have your student attend. If you consider the city, I think the best location is along the Elmwood strip between Allen St and Amherst Street. Neighborhoods are fantastic and culture and food is solid. Oh, did I mention City Honors was ranked 4th best public high school nationally?

If school is not an issue, Cheektowaga has mediocre or worse schools, but has some great neighborhoods where there are plenty of retired couples, every yard has been landscaped and sometimes you can find more home for the money. I am currently living in Cheektowaga.

I grew up in Orchard Park. I think it was one of the best places I could have. Great schools, great environment, and great inspiration. I grew up a short drive from the Bills Stadium. It was the type of area where me and my friends rode our bikes 3 miles to the village and went to the local sports card shop. Dominated by mostly doctors and lawyers and old farm land, Orchard Park is a great place to live.

East Aurora with its old five and dime, and the best toy manufacturer in the world (Fischer Price) , has a lot to offer. It has a smaller town community with a modern suburb's power.

Hope this helps.

Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 1, 2007
If you like to be in a populated area that is well developed, I would say Amherst "Specifically the village of Williamsville".

If you want a little more rural with the occasional Farm then Clarence.

Also, Williamsville and Clarence have the top rated schools in this area. Property taxes are really high in Williamsville though.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 7, 2007
hope she has!! this string is interesting because the concept and practicality of blogging is very voyeuristic, this is being viewed by many who have similar questions and do not participate but for their brains and eyes. it is cool because i get to see how others respond to a VERY subjective question. it is great to learn about people in a different way of communication - the written word. this string is not just a Cathy form Ohio conversation.
What does the "Best " word mean to you? Can you explain?
gimme a fu**ing break, lady ......just answer the question
Flag Sun Sep 8, 2013
hi Cathy, great question! it is always a multifaceted answer. the word"best" is subjective, arts, education, shopping, worship, walking, community involvement, sports.. etc etc. one very awesome factor in western new york is that EVERYTHING is 20 minutes away - no really. it is dfficult to use a web site or statistics to get a feel for the areas, personal contact and phone interviews will do the best. there is also a great site by the buffalo niagara enterprise that is all about quality of life and how buffalo works. your financial strategy may be primary or it may be secondary if your stay in western new york will be long term. ( once you live here, it is hard to leave.) certain areas are more stable for pricing and certain areas will appreciate faster. how transcient is the homeowner base and the average length of time for homeownership... so many factors financially but lifestyle usually is the deciding factor. you may want to choose a Realtor with offices in multiple locations or at least a Realtor who knows western new york as a community.
~best of luck!!
Putting aside personal preferences, many relocating home buyers are attracted to Williamsville because of the schools.

Orchard Park is beautiful.

If you are a senior looking for simplicity, low taxes, ranch living, nice neighborhoods try Town of Tonawanda.
Tough question to answer because personal preference is such a big factor. If you are looking for the following combination such as quality of life, great schools and appreciation of your investment - Orchard Park, East Aurora, Hamburg, Clarence, Grand Island, Amherst and Pendleton. If you are specifically looking for a great village setting, East Aurora and Williamsville need to be explored.
Web Reference: http://www.olear.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
Growing up and living in Lancaster most of my life, makes me a little biased. The Lancaster Area has so much to offer from village homes to new developments or a country setting heading east. Your close to stores, parks, entertainment and pretty much central to any work place in the area. What more could you ask for.
That question is a good one but entirely dependent upon you as a purchaser. We are fortunate in Western New York to have both excellent suburbs but also a variety, Each and every one has some positives and negatives and I always suggest that you put together a list of what is important to you as a buyer. Is it a village setting, is it school districts, is it proximity to shopping and activity, how about cultural activitys, skiing, sports programs, affordablility, village setting, or rural acreage, housing diversity. It is best to list these questions and then tour a few communitys and narrow them to the ones that most fit you, I have sold houses in all of these suburbs and each of these buyers felt that their town was the best.
Web Reference: http://www.c21jerry.com