Home Buying in Thousand Oaks>Question Details

Simone, Home Buyer in New Jersey

What is the best public school district to live in in Thousand Oaks, CA?

Asked by Simone, New Jersey Sun Mar 9, 2008

I'm considering a move from NJ to Thousand Oaks, CA and want to move to the best public school district in the area.

You should look into the Lang Ranch area.
Hi there,
I think that if you look at the conejo unified's web site, you will find good information about all the schools. With so many districts in declining enrollment, you should be wary of moving to a certain area just because of the schools! I know in Camarillo, the school boundaries are so fluid that one year you could live across the street from your ideal school and the next year, your boundaries could be changed. As a whole CVUSD has a very good reputation with top-rated schools. However, anyone coming from a different state may not notice the same amenities as CA as a whole spends less money per student than most states.
If I'm not too late to chime in... we've lived in Thousand Oaks since 1993. Our son attended a local elementary school (Meadows- which is slated for closure next year by the way, along with University)
and then 6th grade went into middle school at Colina. His behavior changed at Colina and not in a good way. We started homeschooling (HIS choice) and he was able to relax and enjoy life again. We homeschooled thru 2 local ISPs- Somis (elem) and Somis Academy (high school.) EXCELLENT homeschooling network here! (also see Conejo Valley Homeschoolers.) Seriously consider homeschooling your children. You will NOT regret it. The nature of homeschooling brings families closer together. No more school schedule stressing, go on vacation WHENEVER you want, expose your children to opportunities, experiences and people that you will never get in public or private school. Homeschooling is freedom.
As for Thousand Oaks vs any other local area, since I've only lived in TO I can only speak to that location. TO is a wonderful town. We are moving (work related) and shedding many tears over leaving this wonderful community. (Our house is already sold, this is NOT a solicitation!) Plus the weather in SoCal is the best in the world. Good luck, Simone!
HI Simone, I grew up in Thousand Oaks. It has changes a lot in the last 25 years since I attended middle school and Thousand Oaks high school. I live and raise my family in Simi Valley and my children attend school in the Simi Valley Unified School district. Thousand Oaks, Oak Park, Simi and another two cities in the general area, Moorpark and Newbury Park all have some excellent schools. So, you'll want to look at what other services and proximities are important to you. My husband commutes to the LA basin. Simi and Moorpark are 118 Fwy adjacent and that freeway is much less congested than the 101. Houses are more affordable in Simi, always, it's why I bought my first home here and we stayed when we moved up. I have to say that I dont always agree with a more house is better. Sometimes, I really miss TO and I still have a lot of services I get there but like the shopping better in Simi. Thousand Oaks has the best parks and rec services for all kinds of activities. Simi is actually very much like Thousand Oaks was when I was growing up there. All of these communities are very closely tied. The very best thing for you to do, is to start with exactly what you are doing, post questions, lots of them. Read the local paper, The Star, just to see what's going on and eventually, come visit. Drive around, it's pretty easy to make an exploration trip with a little vacation tacked on. We are in SoCal after all and there is a lot to do here. If you need assistance locally, I'd be happy to help, reach me directly from my web site. Good luck!
Nelson and I are realtors in the Palm Desert area of California not exactly close to where you will be moving. I am a former member of the Virginia Dept. of Ed.'s Governor's Best Practice Center. As a huge proponent of education, I would like to suggest that you investigate the school districts objectively. I am attaching a website that will help you do that. Along with the information supplied by the other respondents, I think you will be able to make the best decision on what school division to purchase your home in and then pick the school you wish to enroll your child in. Please share this site with others. Regards, Judy Horn http://www.schoolmatters.com
Hi Simone,
I completely agree with Diantha. She has given you some very valuable information. As an educator in California and a parent, naturally we are concerned about student academic achievement and want to send our children to the very best schools. You can visit the California Department of Education's website, and download information regarding the demographics, test scores, etc. of the district/school you are interested in. The SARC - School Accountability Report Card, will give you a plethora of information regarding the schools. Be wary of schools that are deemed High Priority, Program Improvement, SAIT, etc. These schools are either on the brink of state-monitored or are - which means scores have been very low for at least 3-4 consecutive years. Check out schools that have earned the title of "California Distinguished School"... You can also get information regarding the teachers' and administrators' level of education (credentials held) for each school. Here is the web site for your convenience: http://www.cde.ca.gov
Good luck!!
Web Reference: http://www.cde.ca.gov
The actual city of Thousand Oaks only has 1 school district and it is the Conjeo Valley Unified School District. If you are set on the city of Thousand Oaks, then you may be interested in the boundaries of each school within the district and select to live within the neighborhood boundaries of the schools you prefer. If you are open to areas very near Thousand Oaks, then I recommend Oak Park and Oak Park Unified School District (also in Ventura County). My children attended Oak Park schools and they have consistently ranked among the highest in Ventura County.

Are you familiar with the school accountability report cards here in Southern California? Its a system of ranking schools by their performance and includes demographic information as well. If you want more information on this let me know.

Here are the websites for both school districts (takes you directly to their "report card"). Oak Park: http://www.opusd.k12.ca.us/schlsites/SARC.htm
Thousand Oaks: http://ww2.conejo.k12.ca.us/_cvusd/index.htm

I moved with my children several times (Massachusetts, New York City, Virginia, California, Texas). If I can be of assistance, please let me know (you can click on my profile to reach me).

Hi Simone, I relocate families all the time from New Jersey my husband is from Plainfield know the area well. I live in Thousand Oaks and it has great schools the school website is. http://www.conejo.k12.ca.us/
you can also visit my website for more school information and housing things to do and homes for sale. I would love to answer any questions you may have. Thousand Oaks is an amazing family community I have four children and their are so many great activities for kids here. This is a great site. http://www.publicschoolreview.com/nearby_schools.php
The entire city of Thousand Oaks is located in the Conejo Valley Unified School District. It's an excellent school district. How old are your children or child? I can send you information on the various schools in the area, or you can go onto my website and click on school information. My website is http://www.ConnectingHeartsToHomes.com. There are also some excellent private schools in the area as well, including Oaks Christian School, which is 6th grade through 12th grade. Let me know if I can answer any further questions for you. Blessings to your day ~ Sheryl Lynn Johnson