Home Buying in Lincoln Park>Question Details

Bob, Real Estate Pro in Lincoln Park, Chicago,...

What is the best neighborhood in Chicago to buy? I am not familiar with the city but am interested in an upscale area close to everything , trans.

Asked by Bob, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL Sun Feb 28, 2010

Answers

15
Bob,

There are some great neighborhoods in the city of Chicago. While I would say Beverly is great, it is also on the far South Side, and would not be considered "in the city." Note I went to Morgan Park Academy at 111th and Western, and am 3rd generation from Beverly. That being said some questions need to be answered before you go and look. What is your budget? How important is the school system? if at all? Size? Style? and how close to the actual downtown do you want to be?

After answering those questions you can begin to narrow down the choices. Old Town, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast are all within sight of the Hancock building, but come with a hefty price per sqft. you won't get much outdoor green space, and these areas are crowded. If you go just north to lakeview there are some great neighborhoods such as Roscoe Village, Wrigleyville, North Center, St. Bens, Buena Park, and a whole host of others. Personally I choose Roscoe Village I have been here 10 years and plan on staying for quite a long time. If you need any further assistance call me.

Mark Manz
Broker Associate
Koenig & Strey Real Living
HomeServices of America, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Affiliate
direct 773- 551- 7811
fax 866- 653- 0883
mmanz@ksgmac.com
http://www.markmanz.com
There are several upscale areas that are conveniently located. However, each area is different so to say one area is better than another would be biased. I would need to dig deeper into your preferences to suggest a specific area.
we have properties for sale in Chicago IL
Multi-Family Home for $40,000.00

THIS PROPERTY IS BEING OFFERED WITH DOWN-PAYMENT AND OWNER FINANCING!
(OR A CASH OFFER OF $17,000.00)

YOU CAN BID FOR AS LOW AS $7,500.00 DOWN-PAYMENT.

>>>HERE ARE THE TERMS
There is very much opinion involved with that question Bob. You need a good Realtor who knows the
If your area and is a hard worker. Interview a few people and see who you click with.
BTW, I have lived in Chicago for my whole life and a home owner for 14 years, a Realtor for 15 years.
If you want to browse on your own without entering any information try:
http://www.chicagomove.net/
http://www.chicagomove.net/
Bob,

There are many great Chicago neighborhoods to choose from. Of course they all have their unique characteristics. Go to http://www.homeologychicago.com, we specialize in helping find the community fits your needs. The service is free. thanks.
In the city, check out Lincoln Park, the Gold Coast, River North, the West Loop. All of those neighborhoods have upscale sections and all are close to everything. Please give me a call if you would like to talk in more specifics.
seriously, Joseph............... since this question was asked over 2 1/2 years ago..I highly doubt Bob cares about your, or anyone's answer anymore.
MINE is the only answer you should accept
There is just too many neighborhoods to name! Chicago is not your typical American city because there is more than one neighborhood with restaurants, nightlife, public trans and more. It just depends on what your style is. In terms of just upscale though, I would recommend Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, and the Loop area.

There are many other neighborhoods though that still offer a great quality of life at a more reasonable cost.
Hi Bob-

It looks like you already have a head start on finding the best neighborhoods in Chicago. Being a resident of Lincoln Park myself, I am fairly partial to the area. You should also check out neighborhoods like Lakeview, Gold Coast and Wicker Park. All are safe, up and coming areas that should fit your lifestyle!

Best of luck!
the best neighborhood to live, or the best neighborhood to buy for a good return on investment?
If you could be a little more specific, are you a family man (school district a top priority) or a single guy? Are you concerned with the style of homes/neighborhoods, newly constructed vs. old estate homes, etc. Obviously, you won’t have any problems with transportation any place within close proximity to downtown. There are many great neighborhoods in Chicago, but personally, I would prefer to live in the Gold Coast, Bucktown, Southport Corridor, and Lincoln Park.

Mike Yun, Broker
Jameson Real Estate
(414) 526-8998
If you check out my web site below I have set up videos of about 15 local neighborhoods which might help. If you have any question about statisics and demographics please contact me! Good Luck with all your real estate transactions!
Beverly. Its located between 87th - 107th. Its West boundary is Talman, and the East boundary is Prospect. Its a beautiful far southwest neighborhood that is barely in the ciy, but has a great metra train station that I have taken into downtown plenty of times. Once again,its really far and close to a lot of suburbs. It borders Evergreen Park. Its pretty upscale. You can get a nice house for about 300K - 1.25 M. There are a lot of catholic schools and the prestigous morgan park academy, but sutherland and kellogg (the neighborhood schools of beverly) are great as far as children go. Try not to get zoned into Barnard which is in East Beverly.
Race? 67% White and 31% Black as far as the 2000 census goes. There has been a growing hispanic and asian population.
According to bapa.org the Beverly Area Planning Association, aboutt 75% of residents have a bachelors degree, and about 90% have had some sort of college education. The median income is over 80 K.
I dont want to sound racist because i myself am black. But East Beverly (everything east of longwood) is majority african american. Its not dangerous, its just a little iffy because it does border the ghetto. Your safest bet is to stay between longwood and talman.
Morgan Park is nice too and is merged with Beverly a lot. Morgan Park is between 108 - 118th with the East West Borders as Beverly. But with Morgan Park, try not to go East of longwood. once again - its iffy.
All in all, Beverly is great. There are starbucks, condos, and bars along western, but its a family place at the end of the day.
You fit in if you are: White or Black, with a bachelor's degree, an income of 65K - 100K and have a kid. The parks are great btw.