Home Buying in Costa Mesa>Question Details

AL, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

What is the best area to live in Costa Mesa for public schools?

Asked by AL, Brooklyn, NY Thu Jul 11, 2013

Might be relocating from NYC to CM with my husband and 1 year old, I was wondering what is the best area to live in Costa Mesa for public schools?

Answers

11
The accredited online college degree is better than traditional on-campus education.
for more you can visit: http://aimsely.com/accreditation-guide.php
don't move to Costa Mesa there's a lot of crime and a lot of these crazy group of women who think they can run Costa Mesa will give you lots of headaches especially a lady who's actually Japanese whom her last name is American. Big Mistake, lots of pot being sold and they favor it. Bad for your children. Too many pot heads in that City. Go to Huntington Beach or Newport.
Well, there are some amazing school districts so close to Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, all cities that boarder Costa Mesa and all AAA schools. Costa Mesa the schools are alright, but why do that when you can move 2 miles away and go to a great school?

I am actually a lender out here, but I sold real estate in the area for more than a decade in this area. I know who the best agents are and can really help you get set.

Give me a call, there is no cost or obligation, I will try to send you in the best direction possible.

Rich Littlefield
949-297-1207
nmls 287206
Chard or Cab?

There is a small pocket of mid level to upper level homes in NORTHWEST CM called Mesa Verde.
There are a few good schools in that area to choose from.

Eastside Costa Mesa is nice and your child gets into the beloved Newport Mesa District. ( Some love it, some don't )

Mesa Verde is low key, quiet and offer some great sized homes with space to enjoy having a party without getting your guests getting towed. Overall it's close to a decent golf course, a quick 10-15 minute ride down the Santa Ana River to the Ocean ( no traffic lights and cars to run you over ) and offers some nice parks with tons of space.

East Side CM, a lot of backstreet commuters sliding through to Newport Beach, crowded, no safe beach access and a just a tad uppity. Not over-the-top uppity but just a tad "smug" if you will.
It's like if you live across the river in Jersey and you meet someone that lives in Soho.

When you meet an East-sider, it seems like that's all they talk about for a few JUST to make sure YOU know they DON'T live in WEST CM. ( Is it that serious?)

So, give me peace, space and a quite quaint street with cool neighbors and I'm good to go.

Consider parts of South Huntington Beach too!
There's a backdoor to South Huntington Beach from the Mesa Verde area of Costa Mesa called Adams St.

It's a quick highway right in to the South edge of HB.
There are several GREAT blue ribbon schools to choose from.
I'm not a real estate agent but if you need one I know several good ones that will show you around.

I'm a lender and love Silver Oak.

mwood@aclend.com

888-838-9898

If you want to shop rates or get qualified to buy, call me!

Should you choose to come, on behalf of all of us here in the "OC" We all welcome you to what hopefully becomes your home.

-Cheers!
The Newport Mesa Unified School District includes many great schools at all levels throughout the Costa Mesa Area. One elementary school, the Davis Magnet School focuses on Science, Math, and Technology. Families must apply to this school and acceptance is determined via lottery if the number of applicants exceeds the number of seats available in a particular grade level. You can research all the schools' academic report cards at the district website: http://web.nmusd.us/. Reviewing the data may help you in your search.

I have been an Eastside Costa Mesa resident since 1985 and my kids have attended school in the district. Costa Mesa is a great place to call home!

Let me know how I can help!

Warm Regards,

Sheri Elzinga
Torelli Realty - 1700 Adams Ave, Costa Mesa, CA
BRE # 01853171
Costa Mesa is in a unified School District with Newport Beach called Newport Mesa Unified School District. It is also fortunate to be funded by property taxes because the assessed valuation in both cities are high. The District funding is by what is known as Basic Aid. There are only about 50 districts in the state that qualify for this direct funding. Most districts are funded from the State by the number of students they have. Net affect is a Basic Aid District gets more funding per student.

The demographics in Costa Mesa reflect the State of California. Newport Beach is very wealthy and does not have the diversity that Costa Mesa has. Newport's test scores are somewhat higher generally than on the Costa Mesa side. There are great schools in both towns. Your children will get a great education at almost any school in the district if they apply themselves.

Good Neighborhoods in Costa Mesa include the following: Mesa Verde, Eastside Costa Mesa, College park, Mesa Woods, Greenbrook, Wimbleton, Mesa del Mar, Mesa North. Halecrest.

Jim Ferryman
Past President
Newport Mesa Unified School District
714-595-2192
Hello Al,

First and foremost, thank you for posting a questions here on trulia. As a REALTOR®, I follow a very strict code of ethics. I understand your question but I don't feel comfortable telling you which is the best area of Costa Mesa to live in.

Check this out:

Steering is an unlawful practice and includes any words or actions by a real estate sales representative or Broker that are intended to influence the choice of a prospective buyer or tenant. Steering violates federal fair housing provisions that proscribe discrimination in the sale or rental of housing.

The best thing is to look at the schools in the area, crime reports from the police department and real estate values. By analyzing those factors, you will get an idea of where in Costa Mesa you will live.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me. I am here to help you.

Melchor Perez
BRE# 01842907
REALTOR®
714-401-8879
mperez@starsouthcounty.com
Star Real Estate South County
Hot topic. All of Costa Mesa and Newport Beach are served by the Newport-Mesa Unified School District. Many will argue that Eastside Costa Mesa (a desirable area East of the 55 freeway and South of the 73 freeway, bordering Newport Beach) has substantially increased property values given (among other attributes) they "feed" into schools physically located in Newport Beach. This is true for High School and, depending on the location, elementary and middle schools as well. Those homes in Eastside within the "Mariner's District" (Mariner's being a specific elementary school in Newport Beach), can command an additional 100k+ just for the location.
As an Eastside resident, I simply love this area of Costa Mesa and urge you to explore it. However, the clique notion that higher priced home values equate to better schools is a hotly debated topic and is not a black-and-white issue. Many people may not want the "Newport" scene for themselves or their children. There are many great public and private schools in Costa Mesa and the Costa Mesa City Council is working hard on getting the District to spend more money in Costa Mesa (as opposed to just Newport). I'm partial to the Eastside, and the values are certainly substantially higher here partially because of the schools, but you should check out various reviews of the schools before making your decision. Best of Luck and please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Thank you,

-Devin

Devin R. Lucas Real Estate
Attorney | Broker | REALTOR®
A Full-Service Boutique Real Estate Brokerage and Law Office
devin@devinrlucas.com
http://www.devinrlucas.com
949.478.1623 voice
888.667.6038 efax
DRE. 01912302

Mail/Delivery:
1835 Newport Boulevard A109-478
Costa Mesa | California | 92627-5007
Hi! I think you'll really like Costa Mesa! Close to the beach for awesome weather, lots of shopping, restaurants, and things to do. Check out http://dq.cde.ca.gov/dataquest/ this is California Department of Education website and therefore the most accurate. You can check the schools API (academic performance index) scores. 1000 is perfect score and the closer the score to 1000 the better. Our school district is Newport-Mesa Unified. Good luck and if you need anything else please let me know. I live and work here in Costa Mesa.
COSTA MESA IS ACTUALLY UGLY. I LIVED THERE FOR A LONG TIME.
Flag Wed May 6, 2015
Great question!~ Most all schools are good in Costa Mesa proper. However, the "Eastside" Costa Mesa area schools are rated "Blue Ribbon" schools which is a benefit because you get the advantage of the Newport Beach School District. Please visit our web site. It will provide you with informative information regarding Costa Mesa. It is a great City to live in with a tremendous number of things to enjoy...including outstanding weather.

Please visit our web site: http://www.thewadeteam.net / http://www.thewadeteamrealestate.com. The second web site offers the search perimeters of Zillow.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have additional questions. We have proudly served the Costa Mesa and surrounding areas for over 37 years.

Rita Wade & Bob Kuntz
The Wade Team
There are a lot of quality schools in the Newport-Mesa district. You can check greatschools for reviews and rankings of all of the schools in the area:

http://www.greatschools.org/california/costa-mesa/Newport_Me…

If you're looking for a highly ranked elementary school, you may want to focus on the area near Davis Magnate school. Currently there's only one home available in that area. However, Newport Mesa does participate in a Parent School Choice Transfer program, which allows parents to transfer their children to another school within the district. This could give you more options in terms of where you choose to rent or buy. There is a waiting list, depending on the school, and a limited window in which you can sign up. More information can be found here: http://web.nmusd.us/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=128…

If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to get in touch.

Joe Van Fossen
(714) 584-7154
joe.vanfossen@gmail.com