Home Buying in Santa Maria>Question Details

Lowflyer, Home Buyer in Santa Maria, CA

What is the average space rent in a mobile home park? Are any utilities provided by the park?

Asked by Lowflyer, Santa Maria, CA Fri Nov 13, 2009

Answers

4
I currently have a listing in La Maria (#125) with the space rent $613. This includes water, sewer & trash. Community includes pool, spa, bbq, clubhouse with meeting room with kitchen, pool tables, laundry facilities and RV parking. I have been greeted warmly by the neighbors and everyone seems to know everyone. Anita at the office has been wonderful to work with. There is senior bus service for pick up and also city bus service out on the street.
What is the Space rent in La Maria Mobile Home Park, address 1701 S. Thornburg St. Santa Maria, Ca. and is it a Peaceful Park, and a Senior Park. Is there a bus for Seniors to pick up the Seniors for services? Thanks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
It would be difficult to state an average because space rent varies even within parks. I would estimate anywhere between $500 - $700 per month for the parks I've seen in Santa Maria. It can run less and it can run more though.
Lot rent really varies. In Northern Virginia, there are lot rents of $650, $842, and some a bit lower. Now, $842 is pretty high, but you have to factor in what lot rent will include. Often, utilities are not included. But, is trash pickup included? Amenities? Security? Snow removal? Lawn mowing? Recreation facilities? On-site management?

In other parts of the country, lot rent might be $200-$300.

What you really have to look at is your total cost of occupancy. Example: Even with that $842 lot rent I mentioned above, someone in Northern Virginia could rent (or buy) a 2 bedroom 1 bath manufactured home in great condition for about $1,100 a month. That'd compare to rents in condos of about $1,300, and a monthly cost to purchase a condo of about $1,800-$2,200.

So, look at total cost of ownership. Oh, and while I'm not an accountant, if you qualify as a "first time homebuyer" under IRS guidelines, you can take the first time homebuyer's tax credit for a mobile or manufactured home purchase.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA