Home Buying in Willow Glen>Question Details

Mike, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

What is the average price per square foot to put an addition on a home in San Jose (Willow Glen area)?

Asked by Mike, San Jose, CA Sun Jun 22, 2008

Just a price range would be great- interested in just a bedroom, or possibly a bedroom & bathroom addition. We are considering buying a 2 bdrm house with the intention of adding on and are curious if it would be a good investment.

Answers

7
Hello Mike,
The average price for an addition really depends on what kind of finishes you are looking for.
You are probably going to be in the neighborhood of 250.00 SQ. FT.
Standard grade finishes.
If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call
Al with Al's Remodeling
408-391-2261
http://www.alsremodelingsf.com
Hi there....

I have a similar question in regards to Mikes questions below and would like some opinions. We also, want to do a remodel. We need a new roof and gutters so think it maybe better to go up, but can't decide whether to go up or out. Supposedly our foudation was redone and they went to granite during the major earthquake so although there has still been some movement I don't think we would have to have a major overhaul of the foundation but don't know for sure. Is it too vague to ask do we go out with a master, laundry, family and bath
or do we go back with a family room and up with the bedrooms overlapping our exsisting structure thus only adding a small portion to the foundation and having to redo the roof anyway. Thanks for any opinions. Kathleen
Hi Mike,
I'm an architect in San Jose and I specialize in this type of project.
Last year I had a Master Bedroom/Bath/Walk-in Closet addition in the Willow Glen area. We also remodeled another bathroom and altered the hallway to gain access to the new bedroom. The finishes were on the higher end. The construction cost was $210,000. I'd be happy to discuss with you my fees, the price for permits in San Jose and the schedule. Please see my website (listed below) for my contact information.
I'm very familiar with the Willow Glen area and can show you several of my projects in the area.
Jennifer Kretschmer, AIA
Web Reference: http://www.jkretschmer.com
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller in 95124
Hi Mike,

I don't have anything to add regarding the cost per SF. Start with interviewing neighbors and friends that have done jobs in the area. You'll want to have your contractor pay special attention to the foundation. Willow Glen is notorious for its expansive soil.

Feel free to email me for comps in your area, as these may factor into your decision to move forward with your project. Also I have been following a blog on a family in Willow Glen who has given an incredible gift to document their experiences with their home addition and remodel. Check it out at http://scottshouse.wordpress.com. During the remodel (rebuild) the family had a life altering detour when the wife was diagnosed with cancer. I believe her cancer is in remission. It was quite a fight and quite a story.

Best of luck!

Patrick Johnson
(408) 410-9139
patrick@dreamsbytheyard.com
Thanks, this is very helpful! We are thinking of just a simple extra bedroom however depending on costs it may be a better investment to add a master bedroom w/bath. Great point on quality of the addition. Since it's only a 2 brdm and we aren't planning anything extravagant, I think we will be safe on not overbuilding.
Hello mike
construction prices vary, there is class A.B, C,D. CLASS a MEANS A GRANITE COUNTER TOPS, CEILING MOLDING, HARDWOOD FLOOR AND FIRST QUALITY MATERIAL, THEN YOU CAN GO TO B,C,D PLANS.
IT STARTS FROM 200-275 DOLLARS PER /FT THIS IS AN AVERAGE.
GOOD LUCK
Mike,

A response here from a local contractor would be great! However, a good rule of thumb is $250 to $300 per sq. ft. Of course it depends on what you're adding. Kitchens and bath remodels are more expensive, bedrooms and family room additions tend to be less expensive. You can also check with your homeowners insurance agent to find out what cost/sq. ft. figure the company uses for calculating replacement values in this area.

Just be sure the quality and finish of any addition you do is consistent with your existing home and the other homes in your neighborhood. If your add on is done too cheaply it'll hurt your home value when it's time to sell, and overbuilding for the neighborhood will make it difficult to recoup your investment.

Happy home hunting!
Web Reference: http://www.ronminearo.com