Shane Kibble, Home Buyer in Willow Glen, San Jose,...

What is the average cost to completely replace all electrical in a 2 bed 1 bath home?

Asked by Shane Kibble, Willow Glen, San Jose, CA Fri Nov 9, 2007

I am interested in purchasing an old home in San Jose and I am wondering what it would cost to replace all the electrical.

Also, can you please recommend a good electrician in this area.

Answers

3
Hi Shane,

I would agree to get some price by contractors but be sure they are licensed and insured. This will cut down on unqualified. I would also ask for recent references. The final thing I would do is check with your town to determine if you need a permit.

You may want to get a few esimates to be sure you are not being gouged.

All of these things may save you a great deal of time, money and frustration.

George Antonopoulos

Coldwell Banker
800.759.6936
Web Reference: http://www.shorelinere.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 20, 2007
Shane
The answer is one of those "It depends". Do you have dry wall or plaster? If so, plaster tends to be more expensive to patch after the wiring is complete. Will you want to add to the master box? Many of the older homes have too much on the original panel and if you are considering air conditioning or more appliances/receptacles, sometimes you want to amp up. For just the basic re-wiring I have gotten quotes about $40-65 per receptacle. By the way, Chris Grey is a licensed electrician in San Jose and can provide references. Grey Electric 408-309-0112. He normally has ads in the local neighborhood newspapers.