Ceg, Home Buyer in 60048

What is the average cost per square foot of new construction in Libertyville, IL?

Asked by Ceg, 60048 Wed Jul 22, 2009

Why do some properties not list the square footage?...FRUSTRATING

Answers

5
Ceg: Here's a website that can help ask general questions about the cost to build a home. http://www.b4ubuild.com/faq/faq_0002.shtml

As far as the square footage not showing up, it is because the public sites pull information directly from the County Recorder's offices and sometimes details that would normally be put in by a Listing Agent are missing. You can bet if there are major pieces of information missing from a property that it is not listed with an agent and probably not even for sale.

Contact a licensed agent who belongs to the Multiple Listings Service to get your search results accurate sent to you!
~~~
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 18, 2010
Ceit

New construction has a hard time competing with resale higher end homes in this tough market. In Libertyville, 200-250 per foot is about what it costs to build, depending on finishes and how fancy you go in the kitchen. A recently constructed resale house in Libertyville however goes for 150-200 per foot. So unless you have a specific drawing you want to build or custom ideas with regard to kitchen or green building, resale is the way to go. For example in Wineberry subdivision you can buy a lot for 200-250k, build a 3500 sqft home and have $1.1M into it for a lot backing to the train tracks or high tension wires. No homes have sold in Wineberry recently over $1M and you can get a less than 10 year house for 750-900k that has a good interior lot location. Plus you will probably get a finished basement.

As to your question regarding square footage in general, it isn't a required field in the MLS and unless it makes the house look impressive to buyers it is not of benefit to the seller to broadcast the square footage. For example, a 2300 sqft track home sounds small, but if you say it is a Westport model just like every other Westport out there people know what they are getting. If you say a 6000 sqft ranch with walkout basement that means 3000 sqft above grade and 3000 in the basement. Walkouts can count in square footage but not regular finished basements. The square footage is on the county assessor web site so if you are interested in a particular home you can search for it on the Lake county assessor home page. Hope this helps! Call me if you care to discuss. 847 276-0120
I agree with the other agents who have responded. Price per square foot without more information is a tough one. One thing that I will add as well is that it also depends if you are building a ranch style or you decide to build up. It is typically cheaper to build up then out and the more corners you have, the more expensive it typically gets. Regarding square footage, as an agent, I get frustated too not seeing it listed. Go to the website I have listed below, and you can find any home's square footage by looking up the address or PIN (parcel identification number)...both the upper level and lower level. Speaking of basements, make sure when you do see square footage listed, ask what that includes. While MLS is very specific about what can and can not be counted in square footage, not all agents know the specifics (or choose to follow) and it can be misleading as well. Have a great day!
Ceg,

I understand your frustration. Having sold many newly constructed homes in Libertyville I can appreciate the question. I'll assume that you are talking about custom construction since there isn't much else available in new construction. If you ask a builder to give you a cost per square foot they will typically tell you they can't give you a figure. The cost will be based on the cost of the land, the cost of the materials used, landscaping, square footage, upgrades, etc. Many builders will give you a ball park figure depending on the square footage and amenities that they would normally include in the total package. I've seen most custom built homes end up in the $225.00-$325.00 per square foot range. That price includes the land. I know this is a wide range, but it all adds up depending on the upgrades for want. I can say that if you are determined to build, that it is a very good time to do so considering the current costs of materials and land. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Al Aronow
RE/MAX Suburban
847-557-8501
Realtors have the option to put the square footage in or not. Often time they don't put it in because they don't take the time to look it up. I'm including a link for Lake County properties that you can use to look up the square footage yourself. Good luck! If you need help, please let me know.