Home Buying in Hillsborough>Question Details

Crltrading, Home Owner in Hillsborough, CA

What is the average cost in building a house from the ground up in Hillsborough, CA?

Asked by Crltrading, Hillsborough, CA Sat Oct 13, 2012

Hello, I'm looking to buy around an acre lot in Hillsborough, CA. I know the cost to build a house varies widely, but would like to have an idea and starting point. Basically, a 4000-4500 sq.ft., about 5 BRs, 3 BAs, small flat yard, the land would be slightly sloped, Mediterranean style, not looking into too much details, just standard design, with a short driveway. I currently live in Hillsborough, so I know the area well and have ideas of the price ranges; just want to know how much it would cost to build a new house; looking into moving into something larger. Thank you in advance.

Tim Wong, AIA, Architect

I'm currently working on a major remodel/ addition in Hillsborough, and bid out the project to several contractors. The project has a modern sensibility with a fairly high degree of detail and finish. The new area, consisting of remodel and addition, amounts to 3500 s.f. and the price ranged from $1.4 mil to just under $750,000. The contractors that put in the low bids did not include decorative light fixtures or finish material, i.e. tile.

Be aware that the Town of Hillsborough has a design review process that one has to go thru...the more complex the more difficult it gets. Modern designs take a little more scrutiny but there is a slight trend in going this way...the last hearing that I went to all the project under consideration were contemporary style.

Hope you find this information useful.
(510) 594-8700
It really depends on the level of finishes you will pick. I am currently working with a contractor in Palo Alto and his target is $250 per square foot for a 4-bedroom 2800 sq. ft. home.
Web Reference: http://talisrealestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012

I'd say on average you could use $400/ft as a benchmark for minimum Hillsborough quality work including demo, plans, permits with it going up for finer details and a custom owner user quality or down a little for spec resale quality?