Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Theresa Chri…, Home Buyer in Center Conway, NH

What is most desirable section of Portland for young family, and how are schools?

Asked by Theresa Christo, Center Conway, NH Thu Sep 13, 2012

Answers

8
Wilfred Audet’s answer
According to Federal Fair Housing Rules..........

I'm unable to answer your questions. I would suggest you contact the Portland School Department and they'll be able to answer questions regarding national test scoring for all the area Elementary, Middle and High Schools.

As far as areas are concerned, it would depend on the amenities that you would want to be located near, such as City Parks, the Ocean or Public Transportation.

You can reach me at 749-8114
Willie Audet, Jr.
Greater Portland Realty
Owner / Vice President
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
Instead of the sales pitch and agent introduction you could have answered the question. Will not be using your office
Flag Thu Nov 15, 2012
Portland has many wonderful areas to raise a family. As others have mentioned, North Deering is top on that list. There are certainly other areas of towm, depending on your price range, style of home, and other needs that may influence your purchase. There are also some great side streets closer to
town on the Falmouth side of Washington Ave, in addition to the Ocean Ave area, As a parent, and the wife of a teacher, I understand your concern regarding schools.. Education and love for learning starts at home, so your child can flourish in any environment. Portland schools are very diverse in culture. Theresa, I work strictly as a buyer's agent, and am able to show you any property you have intererst in. I am happy to help you with the pre-qualification process if you have not spoken to a lender yet. There is so much to learn about a home purchase in a new community.
If there is any way I can help you, please feel free to reach out to me. I am always happy to provide references from my current and previous buyers. I look forward to hearing from you. 207-776-8436
Hi Theresa,

As everyone said North Deering has some great neighborhoods. Here are some links for school and home buying information.

Schools:
http://doug.remax-maine.com/schools.asp

Free buyer reports:
http://www.makemaineyourhome.com/p/free-home-buyer-report.html

Let me know if you need assistance with anything. I am happy to explain the buying process and show you neighborhoods that will suit your needs.

Doug
RE/MAX Oceanside
207-838-5593
The Deering Area is within walking distance to local schools and home values tend to stay stable due to proxmity to all Portland has to offer. That section would start just north of Capisic street and run to Deering Avenue along both sides of Brighton ave. 3 Br homes range from Mid 250k up to high 300k depending on which side of Brighton st you're on and how close to Portland center you get.

Need a Buyer Specialist? Work with a successful team at the Cathy Manchester Team of Keller Williams with 3 office locations to serve you. Call medirect for more questions at 207-310-8669
Deering side of Portland great neighborhoods and schools. Let me know if you want some homes emailed to you.
Best regards
Carol Kilburn
RE/MAX By The Bat
207-553-7396
Hi Theresa. Dale and Marie have some good points. There are several unique neighborhoods in Portland and finding the best fit for you and your family would require a discussion to find out what's most important to you, what you look for in a neighbrhood, etc. As a former teacher and an auntie to little nephews, I can certainly relate to your concerns about a city's school system. Drop me a line if you'd like to chat further. Otherwise, there are some great online links on Portland's city website. Good luck!
I certainly am not a Realtor but I have lived in and around Portland my entire life. The Deering area is a nice neighborhood and tends to have larger lots and places for kids to play then some of the other options. There are also some nice neighborhoods on the West End depending on your budget.

Portland overall is a very safe city so it has relatively few "bad" neighborhoods. As far as schools, Portland has what most describe as a good public school system but it also has numerous private schools that offer excellent educations. These include Waynflete, Cheverus, MacAuley and more.

Good luck in your search. I have had many clients move into the Portland area from out-of-state in recent months. It seems our secret is getting out!
Portland has several different neighborhoods, all with their own unique benefits. The most desirable would depend on what you are looking for. The 'North Deering' area is desirable with many quiet streets, shopping, businesses, close to exit 53 on I95. The 'East End', home of the Eastern Promenade has beautiful views and access to the ocean and back bay, with houses close together, many multi-units. The 'West End' is full of beautiful historical homes. The list goes on. Let's chat.