Tess Roper W…, Real Estate Pro in Waterville Valley, NH

What is more important to you in a ski condo/home... a big mudroom, or garage?

Asked by Tess Roper Weglarz, Waterville Valley, NH Tue Mar 19, 2013

Answers

9
As they say in the American South....bofum.

Keeping it light... Chuck
It certainly would be great to have both. If I had to choose one, I think I would go along with choosing a mudroom. In the winter, we seem to have so much in the way of bulky items to store.... coats, hats, skiis, boots, poles and guest coming in with the same items. If you don't mind getting out and cleaning the car in the morning, I do think you would be pleased to have a mudroom, especially in the northeast where the winter season is long and mud season is a "real thing" to deal with.
HI, I think a big mud room is more important as most owners are just up on the weekend and although it's nice to have a car in the garage, odds are you won't get snow the 2 days a week you are in the property. Just my opinion!
I have always loved this question..... people sure have their opinions about it! Personally, I love a good mudroom - can't live without one. But I have met many vacationers who are adamant on the ability of pulling up to their garage after a 2 hour drive in the snow, and pulling right on in.
Thanks for all of your input!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 19, 2013
Great question, Tess. I think that by and large, in our resort village, a large mudroom is most important. I agree with Susan that a mudroom is a necessity while a garage is a luxury. Nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 21, 2013
I lived in Winter Park CO many years ago, average snowfall 380". I would rather have a garage. As you asked about condo/home, in a condo I might want a big mudroom as the snow clearing should be taken care of by the complex. In a house, it's nice to have a place for a snow blower and to keep your car from being buried.
Don
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 20, 2013
This just in...while meteorological odds might support Chip's response, my wife Maggie, associate broker at Roche Realty Group, has this sensible view. Assuming same square footage, a garage is preferred because you can use a garage as a mudroom, but not a mudroom as a garage!

I would add that a garage addition has come up often on ski properties that I have listed, but I have never heard an objection about lack of a mud room. That said, properties without space for a garage may be at a disadvantage or on the other hand, it may just be a disguised form of buyer objection...they probably would not pay to put in a garage anyway...CB
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 20, 2013
I would choose a garage if the choice is there. You can park your car inside AND keep the boots and coats and "stuff" in the garage as well. Or, if the mud room is big enough you could park your car in the mud room!!
Only a small percentage of condos in Waterville Valley have garages and they do sell at a premium over those without, so for those among us who like to get in a warm, clean car in the morning(this Winter we had a ton of snow!), the higher investment is worth the convenience. Waterville has a strong ski racing crowd, many of whom like to tune their own skis, so garage space is preferable due to the fumes from waxing etc. One thing to bear in mind with mudrooms is making sure they have a heat source for drying wet clothing! Thanks for the question, Tess! :)