Home Buying in Catskill>Question Details

Not Looking…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What is least expensive home, but good?

Asked by Not Looking For Contractors, Bilders, Agents Etc., New York, NY Mon May 4, 2009

I have a piece of property in the Catskills, NY. I would like to put a home on it. I can't afford a new house. I am thinking of a used modular, even a modular office I would redo. I feel double wides are too trailer-like. Any suggestions? I am fairly handy-but no master carpenter. I saw some nice used modular bank offices which I thought I could convert to a good home. They were being sold around $20,000 but they had to be transported and cabled...not to mention the prep-water, electric, septic excavating and foundation. Can you help me?

Before you commit to any type of building, you may wish to consult with your town enforcement officer to ensure that the type of building you have in mind is permissable in the town. Many towns have no requirements, but I'm sure you want to minimize surprises.

That person may also be a good resource for you regarding septic system as well. Depending upon where in the Catskills the proeprty is located, you may be required to install an engineered septic system that follows NYC Department of Environmental Protection standards. A call to the local town hall may save you lots of money and headaches