Home Buying in Yonkers>Question Details

Julie Denise, Home Buyer in Sussex County, NJ

What is involved in getting a C of O for a home purchase?

Asked by Julie Denise, Sussex County, NJ Thu May 9, 2013

does it differ if home if a short sale or not?

Help the community by answering this question:


If the home doesn't have a C of O you will have to file an application with the town. Check with the town before doing so because in some cases (depending on when the home was built) a pre date letter can be issued and you won't need to file.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 10, 2013
Two different scenarios with two different methods

If there is no C/O, use Rey's method below. If you have a C/O, but to legalize an addition or improvement that was done without a building permit, it is a tad more complicated. One, there will be a fine, and it is best if you meet with one of city engineers to discuss what is really necessary.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
A C of O is a Certificate of Occupancy. You have to file an application with the Yonkers Dept of Buildings (914) 377-6500. There is a fee associated with the application and you want need to contract an architect or other professional. If you need help...AskRey.

Like AskReynet on Facebook

Rey Hollingsworth Falu
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence - Bronxville

Direct 917-855-0277
Web Reference: http://AskRey.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
For accurate information check with the local building's department; if purchasing with a mortgage, your lender may not lend without c/o's, also check with your homeowners insurance, they may not insure....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer