Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

audreyration, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

What is going to be the hottest neighborhood in 2014?

Asked by audreyration, Seattle, WA Mon Dec 30, 2013

Answers

6
Love this question! I assume you're talking about Seattle neighborhoods? I'm going to ignore the obvious answer (Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Beltown, Wallingford, etc.) and choose the neighborhoods that offer the most value to buyers. My choice is the neighborhoods located near light rail. That includes neighborhoods like Columbia City, Hillman City, Mt. Baker, and Beacon Hill. These are up & coming neighborhoods ---although Columbia City has already arrived! These are among the most-affordable neighborhoods in the city, and they offer some surprising amenities, such as their close proximity to the lake, eclectic shopping, ethnic restaurants, good bike commutes, and excellent public transportation. With affordability on everyone's mind, I'd recommend looking to southeast Seattle in 2014.
Definitely Beacon Hill & Georgetown; definitely under appreciated!
Flag Tue Dec 31, 2013
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 31, 2013
Hi Audrey

That's a loaded question and every agent in Seattle is going to say the area they work in will be the hottest but this really depends on how you want to live.

If you want to be in, as in the Seattle metro neighborhood / downtown then Queen Anne will continue to be the hottest in Seattle. It always has been and will continue to be so especially with Amazon's growth.

If you'd prefer to commute from a suburb because home size and yard space is more important than Bellevue/Kirkland/Issaquah are going to be hot.

Happy to help if you have questions about being in Seattle.

Cheers!
Jeff
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 30, 2013
Odd question, even ignoring my dislike for predictions. I could see you might be interested in the answer to this if you were an investor with multiple properties scattered about the Seattle area. Then you could pick which one(s) to quit leasing and sell. But most sellers only have one property to sell. And buyers probably shouldn't want to buy into a hot neighborhood, because that may mean buying at a price that will be higher and possibly won't be the hot neighborhood when selling.
Let me get out my crystal ball.... oh yes... here it is. Very clearly it says Kirkland.

Jeff is right that pretty much every broker will have great things to say about the area they work in but honestly it depends on what your motivations are. Investment? Commute? New infrastructure? New construction?

On the Eastside I still say Kirkland. And I think that's evidenced by the amount of new development going on here (and it's selling like hot cakes by the way) and Seattle-ites that are relocating here. Plus it has award-winning schools, a small town atmosphere and a lake front downtown with tons of community pride. All within 15 minutes of Seattle and Microsoft. Plus Google is slated to expand their Kirkland campus where ParkPlace currently is.
Issaquah Highlands. We would love to introduce you to the exciting community and show you all of the new shops, new restaurants, new movie theater, and FANTASTIC homes.

All of the buyers we are working with -- who work in Seattle, Bellevue, or Redmond -- are most excited about the Issaquah Highlands neighborhood.

Let us know if you have any specific questions we could help with.

Best Regards, Mary