Brad Pure, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What is everyones opinion of southport/addison intersection?

Asked by Brad Pure, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 28, 2012

How will a condo valur hold up in this area? How is traffic in this area normally and in cubs traffic? How shoudl I value a rooftop view in this area? Thanks.

Answers

11
Well Brad, I'm pretty confident that the neighborhood is pretty solid for holding it's values -- I also think that certain companies do a pretty thorough job of demographic studies before opening stores and if a Lululemon just opened up at the corner; that's a pretty good indicator. Also Crain's Chicago Business recently ran an article on the economic engine that the Southport Corridor has become and how it appears to be surpassing Armitage as a destination. Drive around the neighborhood and look at the new construction homes. Heck, Rosie O'Donnell had bought in the neighborhood. The Blackhawks players, the Cubs players and management that live in the immediate neighborhood. Not that I should be counted with those guys, but I have lived in the neighborhood for almost 15 years. Sure, there is some Cubs traffic - 81 home games plus a couple of concerts - it all adds to the ambiance of the neighborhood. For the rooftop deck, depending on the size, the height and how it's appointed all add different levels of value - but with the exception of this summer's heat, a rooftop deck is certainly a huge value add. I think that West Lakeview is one of the best neighborhoods to live in the city. I would be happy to answer any questions that you might have about the neighborhood.

Tom Kelley
Dream Town Realty
tkelley@dreamtown.com
I live nearby and love the area! Traffic can be tough during Cubs games, but not so much once you are west of Southport or even a few hours after a game has started (yes... it's true!!). When there are no events going on at the stadium, the neighborhood is very residential and traffic is a breeze.

A rooftop view is always going to be a bonus, no matter what neighborhood you are in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
I agree with Philip that is not much different than other areas of lakeview around there.

Traffic can be a little bad with the Cubs playing near there a lot. As to a rooftop deck, it add a good amount, at least 20k. It depends on the size, material, and view.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
I do not see any real diference in condo value in this area vs any other area of Lakeview. The more important issues for value are based on the actual condo. Rooftop views are always nice and add value, but how much is not known without more info. Cubs traffic is always irritating even if you likte the cubs. Some people would not want to live near it, but most do not care that much. I think you are focusing on the wrong things to determine value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 29, 2012
I think that they should put a amusement park there that has a triple stage party setup
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 28, 2012
It is one of the best locations in the city! It has all of the shops of Southport and Wrigley is right around the corner. It also has one of the best public schools in the city. How could you go wrong?
It's about as kid-friendly as it gets, so the property value will hold strong
Great traffic flow. Nice area. More neighborhood feel opposed to city feel. A lot of independent businesses.
Great area- The heart of the Southport corridor. It is close to Wrigley field, but not to close where you are surrounded by traffic before or after the games. The vaules in that area are still holding up for rent and for sale. Contact me today to get a fair market value or have me help you find a rental or condo/house in the area. Kimpowers@atproperties.com
This is a high demand area that has many nearby amenities. Value should hold up.
Hi Brad,

This is a very in demand area. Some buyers I have worked with aviod condos on the major streets, although Addison and Southport are not as bad as Ashland or Lincoln. A rooftop is a big bonus for some buyers. Do you currently have a buyer's broker working for you?

Best of Luck,
Ivan SAgel
312-515-7823
IvanSagel@DwellOneRealty.com