Bethlynn, Home Buyer in Massachusetts

What is considered pet friendly for a condo or townhouse?

Asked by Bethlynn, Massachusetts Fri Jan 7, 2011

Answers

6
Karen Gately Herrick’s answer
Great question! I love to see associations that allow pets as I know buyers love this option and it adds VALUE for resale. The least friendly would be no pets allowed or only with approval from association trustees. The most friendly allow dogs of any size with the stipulation that if the dog becomes a menace the association make as the owner to remove the animal. Always check the rules and by-laws in regards to pet policies before falling in love or making an offer if this is very important to you.

In general, newer developments are allowing some pets although many are restricted to smaller breeds.
Hello Bethlynn,

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have. As a local area expert I can tell you that "pet friendly" refers to the restrictions that the Rules and Regulations of the complex places for pets that can be brought to the units. They vary from complex to complex but the standard seems to be dictated by weight or sometimes breed. Good luck with your home search and feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have regarding the process, location or demographics.

Marianne Avila
RE/MAX Partners
Direct: 978-984-3188
Hi Bethlynn,
Is there a particular condo complex you had in mind? I'm very familiar with all of the condos in the area you are looking. Please email me for more information.
Karen

KNigrelli@exitrealtyba.com
EXIT Realty Beatrice Associates
Bethlynn,
You've received some good advice from Mike and Anna. I'd also like to add that "pet friendly", for a condo, usually means that pets are allowed, with restrictions.

Most of the condos I've encountered place size limits of 20 or 25 pounds on pets and only allow one per unit. If restrictions on the size or number of pets is a concern to you, perhaps a multi-unit building that's not a condo would be a better choice.

In Florida there are various kinds of ownership that benefit owners of large pets or multiple pets. For example, townhomes that are attached single-family homes are usually a good match for these pet owners.

I imagine Massachusetts has similar distinctions between various forms of ownership. Perhaps some of our Massachusetts members could suggest possibilities to you. Good luck in your home search.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
Watson Realty Corp.
It really depends on the complex, as rules may vary from complex to complex...if asking about a specific unit, consider asking your agent the question, or contact management directly...
Typically it means they accept pets but there still might be some restrictions on breed, weight or number of pets so it's always a good idea to get that info early on in the process.