Home Buying in Sacramento>Question Details

Trulia Sacra…, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

What is an ideal neighborhood for a young family in the Sacramento area?

Asked by Trulia Sacramento, Sacramento, CA Mon Nov 5, 2012

Good schools, safe, etc. are all important when deciding which neighborhood to call home.

Answers

7
Homeowners or potential home buyers like me search Trulia to look at houses. It is not only Realtors that need to answer. Actually, it is better for actual home owners to answers questions like these, coz Realtors only sell, they never lived in the place and actually know what is going on unless they lived there themselves. They could research but it is not comparable to living in it. We've searched houses all over Sacramento county and we always went back to Elk Grove. Great place for young families, great school and houses prices are very home buyer friendly. The area is quite safe, and to prove that, you'll see police cruisers frequently and I think that will deter most trouble makers. And if you've got young kids, EG has one of the best school districts. Plus, there are great places to shop, to eat and to just relax. There are tons of parks too, and most are pet friendly. There are a lot of activities too, and the recent one as of November 2012 is that EG city government approved an ice rink for the people to enjoy during the winter.
There are other places in Sacramento...there is Roseville, Rocklin and the old neighborhoods in the center of Sacramento. They are also developing West Sac to appeal to young couples and families, but I do not like their school district.
This question is pretty vague...

I am a guy with a "young family" in Sacramento. What appeals to me may not necessarily appeal to others. Many factors were important when my wife and I were choosing our home. These included PRICE, proximity to work, walkable / bikeable, parks, opportunity for return on our investment (perceived neighborhood revitalization, "sweat-equity" opportunity, down payment assistance program availability in certain neighborhoods, etc.), and a chance for community involvement and activism.

Schools weren't yet in our minds as we had about a 5-7 year timeline in mind and our children wouldn't be in school by the time we were planning on cashing out our "sweat-equity" and moving to another house. We found safety really lies in the eye of the beholder. Though throwing off the stigma in recent years, our neighborhood of Oak Park was not perceived as necessarily "safe" when we moved in, but we have never had any issues in this neighborhood and actually found other neighborhoods in Sacramento less safe.

There is quite a divers variety of neighborhoods in our city and an even more diverse notion of what an "ideal" neighborhood is, no matter what group you try to lump together and categorize.

Long answer short... It depends on your idea of "ideal!"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
You marketing guys at Trulia need to be aware that these types of questions make it very difficult for an agent to answer without treading on Fair Housing Laws.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 5, 2012
There are a lot of wonderful areas for you to start a family in the Sacramento area, it's just depends on what your taste is. Like Sam Allen stated, what may appeal to him may not appeal to others, hence what may appeal to you may not appeal to others. Besides that, lots of areas have great schools, and safety in their neighborhoods. If you feel stuck, you can definitely reach out to my team and I. We'd be happy to help.

Best of Luck,

Ted A. Greene
JCL Realty
http://jclrealty.com/index.php
I'm a big fan of the neighborhood I live in...Hollywood Park. Excellent schools, friendly neighbors, great location!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
There are many good areas in Sacramento for young families, consider Elk Grove as a case in point. This city is renowned for its tree lined streets, man-made lakes and good schools. Prices are well below their peak in 2005. There are many newer homes selling at attractive prices.
I second Elizabeth. I would not expect Trulia to post a question like that.
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA