Home Buying in Casa Grande>Question Details

Marvin Oman, Home Buyer in Chanhassen, MN

What is a rough estimate for putting in a pool in the back yard and yearly upkeep costs? Medium sized home pool

Asked by Marvin Oman, Chanhassen, MN Mon Feb 21, 2011

Answers

8
Adding a pool is more difficult in some places than others. Hills, trees, roots, etc all play into the price to install one. Where I live is all sand so adding a pool is pretty simple, if it fits it's easy to drop in a fiberglass shell. I once had a liner type pool that was 18x24 and 20k gal - as I recall. Once filled ($500) it was easy to top off with the house water supply. Chemicals ran me about $300 / year and it took a lot of brushing and vacuuming to keep it nice and clean. Here a pool can cost $30k to put in the backyard. Then the law requires a fence - $3000 and inspections. Speak to a couple pool companies in your area, they will be happy to break it all down for you.
For the costs, we had 3 estimates from company's here in Tucson, apples to apples $25K for an ingroud "average" size pool that included pebble tech, all the pool equptment, cool decking, digging, hauling away earth, permits, electrical, and included the pool fence. Some will argue it "adds" worth the property but that is arguable how much and well, dont let that be your main reason for adding a pool. They are more liability and have put up signs as well, and an increase in your home owners insurance is part of the maintaince costs as well.
Good points I had not thought about. Thanks..
Flag Mon Mar 28, 2016
Marvin

The pool estimates I have been exposed to would put the installation cost in the $15,000 to $25,000 range for decent pools.

Upkeep costs should run in the $125-$150 per month. It costs $75 - $100 monthly for a maintenance company to stop weekly, check the chemicals and keep everything tuned up. In addition you have water, electric and some occasional replacement costs like filters etc.

Pools have value in Arizona at time of resale, the average for years has been about 50 cents of installation cost. However recently I have seen some with pools going for $25,000 or higher than the same home without a pool. My experience would be to carefully consider the value of the homes.

Would always be glad to answer other questions you might have.

Doug McVinua
HomeSmart

Arizona Homes for Sale by a Guy from Iowa
Web Reference: http://www.McVinua.com
There are a lot of factors that can change things greatly when it comes to the cost of owning a pool. I would suggest talking to some pool companies in your area. They will know all of the regulations you need to follow as well as how much upkeep will be required and what kind of cost you could expect from that. You will also want to make sure you figure out if there are any permits required to add a pool. You wouldn't want to get in trouble for it.
http://bluehavenkc.com/about-us/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 30, 2014
Go to the source. ask pool companies, not realtors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
I would love to get a pool in my backyard. I don't know how much this will cost me though. I want to save up for it and see if I can get one next summer. http://www.landper.com
There are a lot of variables, but we had a pool installed 1 1/2 years ago, from start to finish it took 1 month and they didn’t run into anything unknown, like super hard ground. Maintenance is more than people realize and if you pay someone to do chemicals looking at about $50-$100 a year. Try Google Pool Ownership as I have read some good articles that argue if you finance the pool, the costs are more than people realize.

All that being said, it is nice to have a pool when the summer temps start to heat up. Good luck with it.
Spirit
Hi Marvin -
There are so many variables - size of the pool, play pool vs diving, fresh water vs salt water, plaster vs pebbletec. A very basic play pool can be done for about $15K on up to a very elaborate with grotto, slide, swim up bar backyard paradise for about $100K.
The best advise is to check with several pool builders. They need business and prices are much better than at the height of the market.