Home Buying in Gainesville>Question Details

Gail Coulson…, Home Buyer in Gainesville, FL

What is a real estate agent suppose to do? Mine shows me properties that I find and that is it. She gets me inside to look

Asked by Gail Coulson-kreider, Gainesville, FL Thu Nov 8, 2012

Answers

11
Contact me with the areas you are interested in, and I'll put you in touch with 3 TOP local pros.

With enthusiasm,

Meir Aloni & Team

CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)

RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!

Direct phone# 954-338-5220 http://www.WeSellBroward.com

All Star Realty Inc.
I agree with Icwaz. I just got back into home search after like 10 years, and it's night and day. Buyer Agents don't do much these days and are usually an obstacle to a sale.
Some crucial things that an agent must do are:
1) act timely because time is of essence (act quickly)
2) be a good clerk.
Pull pertinent comparables, going back 3 years, listed and sold, print them and deliver to buyer.
Take buyer questions and deliver them promptly to appropriate parties to get answers (to seller's agent, finance agent, insurance agent, appraiser, inspector).
Organize inspection, financing, HOA interviews, etc.
Do follow ups.
Keep organized files of all facts and correspondence.
Do not be an obstacle to offer and counter offer--get out of the business of negotiations and pricing and offering opinion on pricing--simply relay the information back and forth.
And as far as seeing the properties, gas is expensive, so I do need the agent to show me homes, but the agent should be able to arrange it quickly for me to go and see the home, on short notice.
I have been buying and selling houses since the mid-1980s. The service you got from a "buyer's" agent from the 1980's is not the same as the "buyer"s agent these days. With my most recent puchase of a home, I did most of the work. All agent did was unlock the door for me. I've read all the prior posts from agents and brokers, you may be the FEW (
You are right I did all the work and she unlocked the door, if I had questions I had to put a fire under her or look it up on the internet. But she did explain the paperwork well, and for my first and possibly my last transaction, I servived and did well during the process, Thanks for awhile I thought I really got screwed when reading the answers or that nobody would believe me.
Flag Wed Dec 26, 2012
It depends, if your agent is working for the seller, that's all you are going to get. If you want a more relational, personalized service where your agent is representing your best interest during your real estate experience, you might want to look for a buyers agent.
A good agent should be discussing the positive and negative features of the homes and give information about the neighborhood, schools, and nearby parks or stores. This is also the opportunity to talk about the buying process, especially for a first-time buyer. The agent should also offer to find the disclosures for any properties the customer seems interested in and locate comparable homes that have recently sold in the area to see how reasonable the list price is. The customer should feel comfortable asking lots of questions and making comments to give the agent an idea if the homes viewed are hitting the mark or if he/she should adjust the search.
A good real estate agent is suppose to do many things. The average person buys an sells a home a few times in their lifetime while an agent will do way more in just one year. We apply this experience to guide you through picking a good home, negotiating a good deal, and making sure you have a solid understanding of the benefits of home ownership.
Most times our experience is not only used by our clients when they buy and sell but over the years for advice and questions about the market and homeownership.
Hopefully your agent has been educating you and helping guide you but if not, find someone who will.
There's too much we do not know.
#1. Have you hired this agent meaning signed a buyer's agreement. This means you have every intent of purchasing a home through your agent. Without it, there is no agreement, the agent may end up with nothing but pocket lint.

#2. Did you engage this agent through some mortgage brokers rebate plan? These plans take compensation from the agent to offset closing expenses. Such arrangements mean the agent must manage their time.

#3. Are you pre-approved and has the supporting documents been provided to the agent.

#4. Have you entered into a limited service agreement with the agent.

#5. Is the price point of your intended purchase extremely low. Do the math. You will come to realize in such low cap purchases, special arrangements must be in place.

You may be getting exactly what you are/are not, paying for. There is just too much we do not know. You always have the option of finding anohter agent. But, that will not remove the obstacles that may exist.
There seems to be a lack of communication between you and the agent. I am not going to lambast your agent because I don't have the facts nor have the right to do so.

Building a relationship with your agent/realtor is primordial in the process. This involves excellent communication. Establish the form of communication that works best for you. Example: phone call, e-mail or text.

During your initial conversation or interview with your agent/realtor, an outline on what to expect during the home buying process is important. This will also prepare you for some setbacks which can be inevitable.

Expressing your wants and needs that suit your budget (your comfortable payment after consulting with a loan officer) is a requisite. This encompass the location, the number of bedrooms, the size of the house and land, the style and other preferences like garage and basement. Also, you should be upfront with your agent as to your time frame because this will entail compromise.

However, no matter what, you will learn that you can't have 100 percent of what you want in a property.

Your preferences might change as you move along the process after looking at some houses.
This is perfectly normal. However, your realtor should be made aware of this so that he/she can fully assist you in finding the right home.

That is why finding a home is a process.

Finding you the right home not only involves setting you up on an automated listing notification for new properties on the market. This also includes houses which prices are reduced. Hence, eventually, fall under your price range. Or houses which are put back on the market.

An open communication and discussion with your agent will lead to a more fruitful and harmonious relationship.

Best of Luck
Hi Gail,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having challenges with your home search. If you're working with a Realtor (member of NAR), we have a strict code of ethics to uphold which starts with acting in the customer's best interest at all times. This means listening to what you're looking for in a home, understanding what your goals are (when you want to move, why you want to buy, how you want to pay for the house), and then tirelessly searching for properties to show you that meet your needs. Ask your agent to set you up a Listing Cart in the MLS with your specific house criteria. It will send you an email every day or so if there are any new properties for you to see.

Beyond finding you a house with the right amount of bedrooms, square footage, location, etc., your agent should be only showing you properties that meet your financial needs. For example they should not show you properties that are listed much higher than what you'd like to invest in a home. If you are financing, some homes are not eligible for FHA, VA or FHA 203k loans. If you must move within a limited time frame then a short sale is probably not for you. The best agents try to find their customers the best value for their investment, based on how you want to use the property, how long you want to own it, where it's located, etc. This involves experienced knowledge of home values in the area and a keen understanding of where our current market is headed.

Once you find the right home, your agent will represent your best interests in the transaction-- a job that demands strict adherence to deadlines, knowledge of real estate law, coordinating and reviewing inspections, good negotiation skills, and much more.

We don't get paid until your sale closes, so I would try to work things out with your current agent, since it sounds like they have been showing you some properties which is unpaid work time unless you buy something from them. Maybe they need a clearer picture of what your goals are. If you're really not happy and you haven't signed an exclusive buyer's agreement, you should be able to interview for a new agent. Hope this helps and happy house hunting!

Kaley Shorter, Realtor
Allison Ables Real Estate
I did not interview with my agent, she was a friends agent, she did tell me who to apply for my mortgage with, I did get it approved. I told her what my requirements were and she found me one listing, we have gone to eight homes all ones I found on this site. I have not signed anything and we really do not communicate, when I call she is always interupted and while we are out she is always getting calls, I have asked her to email me properties, but none so far. I have been very specific in what I am looking for and what my price range is. So, I guess we need to talk and see if she we can set up something that is a better arrangement. Because right now I feel she does not have time for me and she has me call her and give the MLS# and then she takes me there. I already found a house I fell in love with but it has a HOA, I have asked her to find out about it for me, but have not heard anything yet. Thank you for your time.
Flag Thu Nov 8, 2012
Hi Gail
Have you hired this Realtor as your agent? A Realtor should be asking questions regarding what exactly you are looking for then try to locate those properties, get you qualified for a mortgage if you need financing and explain the home buying process so you are fully informed when you find what you are looking for. If you are not satisfied with their service, you may need to hire someone else. Remember as a buyer or seller, Realtors work for you. I hope this answers your questions. Good luck
Hmmm, what did they tell you they would do when you interviewed them? What did they promise? and are they keeping their promise.

If I were you I would think about what I want the Realtor to do for me. Put it in your words. Realtors tend to use a lot of initials that the public doesn't understand but we think you do. So write down your thoughts and then find someone who is willing to do that.

Here is a list of all the things I can think of that you may want to ask for:
1. MLS fact sheet
2. information from property appraiser site like when seller bought the home and how much they paid, what are the taxes, how big is the home stated there, whose name is the deed in and does it match the appraiser sheet
3. what other home are on the market like the one you found
4. what other homes have sold lately like the one you like, and how does this compare, a spreadsheet is ideal for that
5. what other homes are under contract waiting for inspections or loan approval and how do they compare to this one you like
6. what about withdrarwn or expired, is the market soft or strong?
7. what have homes sold for compared to asking price, it is called list to sell ratio - this will keep you in line when making an offer, if the home is priced right, that is the going ratio that buyers and sellers can agree on lately.
8. Seller disclosures are good to see, how old are the major items, like roof, heat/ac, plumbing, electric.
9. what have the utility bills been running when the home was occupied

it is late that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe school districts or some other items you may have a personal interest in, example - if you work at UF, how long will it take you to get here in heavy traffic? .... the list goes on and on....