Jane Doe, Home Buyer in 07088

What is a pre-inspection agreement?

Asked by Jane Doe, 07088 Sun Mar 29, 2009

When I made an appointment for a home inspection the inspector advised me I would have to sign a pre-inspection agreement. This is the first I have heard of this. Is this typical? What is the purpose of this agreement?

Answers

3
They want to guarantee you will agree to pay them when the job is finished.

Inspectors job is a tough one, they need to make sure they get paid.

just make sure you read it over, understand the agreement.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
ASHI, NACHI and most state laws require that the client read and sign the agreement before recieving the report. Some inspectors require you sign before they begin inspecting and some require it right before delivering the report.
The agreement should have the license # of the inspector, the fee for the inspection, the standards of practice used, and explain the limitations & scope of the inspection. For a sample of my agreement go to http://www.greenshomedesign.com/9810.pdf.
Jane: "Pre" means before, so, I'll guess that before your inspector will go out to inspect, he wants you to know what it is he is offering and that you agree to pay him for that bill of fare. Since you don't buy houses every day, I'm a little puzzled by your statement that you never have heard of such a thing.

Do I recommend signing up? Sure, if what he offers is what you want. I also believe but really can't say, since I have not seen the agreement, that it will also state the limits of his liability, should something come up later. You may wish to think about that one but, unless you're willing to pay for a ton of his insurance (errors and omissions,) you may find this to be a good way to reach a complete understanding.

As for signing, I dunno, why not?