Home Buying in Simi Valley>Question Details

Paul, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What is a good area to live in Simi Valley if you are in your early 50s with grown up kids?

Asked by Paul, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 17, 2008

I will end up working in Chatsworth which looks like a reasonable commute to Simi.

Answers

7
Simi Valley is a nice place to live. Depending on your price range there are a lot of areas to consider in Simi. We have some areas that require flood insurance which can cost an extra $1800 a year on top of your mortgage. Some areas are in a flood zone here. So before buying inquire to see if the property is in a flood zone. If you have pets or consider having pets then you wouldn't want to live to close to the hills. A lot of times you may go away for a late evening and come home to find your pet gone. We have coyotes here, and they do roam around in the evenings. So do your homework first. Visit the neighborhoods in the evenings. Walk the neighborhoods too. Don't assume a nice looking block will be without problems. We have our share of issues in Simi Valley too.
Hi Everyone,

We are looking for a rental in the Texas Tract with RV and A Pool at least 3 bedroom and 1600sq ft or bettter. Please email me if you have a listing coming up. christineannmarie@gmail.com
There are a lot of different neighborhoods with different "vibes" to them. I live in the "Kadota Fig Farm" area of Simi, which is located between Tapo Canyon and Stearns, and Alamo and Cochran. The lots here average 10,000 square feet or more, and some are even zoned for horses. We have lived here for almost 10 years and love our house, but have outgrown it (we're in the opposite stage of our lives, with young ones and a need for lots of toys...). Many of the houses here are older (ours was built in 1947), and so have a lot of character and details you just don't find in houses nowadays. We will be putting our house on the market soon too; if this area sounds appealing to you, let me know and I can tell you more about it.

But "good" area is really quite subjective. It depends on if you like tract houses or not, McMansions or not, homes with a lot of land like mine, or new homes, etc. I could certainly tell you some areas of Simi to avoid, if you want to email me privately, but I will not post it in an open forum, because I would not want to offend anyone who might live in or near those areas.
Simi Valley is a wonderful community in general. There are many areas that you could settle into comfortably and enjoy the relaxing yet active lifestyle the community has to offer. I think most important would be to find out a specific price range and your wants and needs then finding the neighborhood should come with ease and excitement.
Web Reference: http://JamisonMalone.com
I love Simi - lived here my whole life - it is a great place for families with kids and those who no longer have kids at home. My grandparents bought here in the 60s and lived here for the rest of their lives and most of their kids have stayed in the area.

I think there are a lot of neighborhoods throughout Simi that would be great - depends on if you like older homes w/more of a lot or a newer home w/smaller lots. There is a whole new development up off of Erringer that have larger homes and were built w/in the last couple of years. There are older developments too that are really nice - Texas Track, Indian Hills, Hollow Hills (that is where we are - house is going on the market if you are interested; 3bd 2bath - nice sized lot w/RV).

You can't do wrong w/Simi - I think it is much better than anything you will find in the valley! Quieter area and still has some small town feel!

Good luck w/your move!
If you are not familiar with the area, let me help assure you that if you work in Chatsworth, Simi Valley is a gem of a place to live and the commute is simple. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and have lived in Simi since 1986. I am not sure of a comparable neighborhood in the west Valley that would beat out Simi. Simi has super low crime, it is a very quiet bedroom community full of families. I have 4 children and don't plan on moving away when they are out of the house.
I'm selling my home in the WildHorse Cyn area, It is 4,000 sq ft home for $1,249,000. Veri private, with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, office and a big media/rec room. Views of the entire Simi Valley and mountains. If you are inteested please call Monica at 818/554/3276 for viewing