Looking2long, Home Buyer in 38017

What is a good agent suppose to do for a person looking to buy a home?

Asked by Looking2long, 38017 Wed Jan 20, 2010

Answers

24
“What is a good agent suppose to do for a person looking to buy a home?”

I wonder how much too long ‘2long’ is I look for a little of 8 months. Looking back, that was just about the perfect amount of time for me. I’m sure my realtor would have thought last two months was too long, but he stuck with me over the year.

Anyway, on to the question: The answer to this question could and probably has been the topic of many books. A good agent will fill in the holes of information, skills, and tactics that you, as a buyer, lack. A good agent will take the time to listen to everything you have to say (including the unrealistic whines and frustrations) and find the appropriate property for you that is within your means to afford. A good agent will guide you to the right decision, but never make the decision for you. A good agent will go to bat for you in the negotiations and strip away all my…ummm..your egotistical and emotional components from the equation. A good agent will stick with you to closing, answering all the little nagging and sometimes stupid question with respect and tact. Above all else, a good agent will tell you when you are wrong and when you are right. Lastly, a good agent will tell you when their style does not match your needs and recommend another realtor that does. OH! One other thing, a good agent would never tell you now is absolutely the best time to buy and give you a list of reasons why that is so.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 23, 2010
Be your ADVOCATE.

They should represent your best interest in all aspects of the transaction.

Most areas have a agency agreement that is signed by all parties that PUTS IN WRITING an agents responsibilities to a buyer or seller.

Stop into a local office and ask for the document. It will be very helpful and clear to assist in answering your question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 23, 2010
Looking2long

A Professional Agent is the Bridge from wanting to accomplish a goal over the river of doubt.. so YOU can accomplish a goal (To sell or buy)

They offer expertise, knowledge of paperwork, the process and security that all options/possibilities have been explored...When a consumer shops for an Agent IMO they are shopping for honesty above all other things, failure to provide that is a failure to provide the most important service a Realtor can provide...

It is not about protecting other Agents or NAR it is about protecting the client from those who do not have their best interests at heart....That's a valuable Service

I would rather disagree with my Agent knowing they have given me their honest opinion than have an Agent agree with me but not knowing if they were being honest...One has value one does not....

Consultant..Enabler...Confidant...Team member...Adviser..Guide....Protector ...YES

These are the things you should look for and require from an Agent, these are the things that will help you attain your goals and are worth paying for...

Just an opinion
Dunes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 20, 2010
Looking,

Simply stated.....find you the best home, in the perfect neighborhood, at a price you can't afford to walk away from.

One of the common mistakes made by buyers is they fail to provide the necessary feedbact that agents require to help them narrow down the search. We recommend the importance of open communication between both the agent and the customer that allows agents valuable information.

Good luck with your search,
The Eckler Team
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 20, 2010
A good agent typically helps you find the right home for your plans, at the right price.

Hopefully, they also go a long way in protecting you (and your investment) in the marketplace by being able to show you what the values are today, and “why” the values are what they are in your search. For example, is this neighborhood holding its value or loosing value right now? Is there another area that you should add to your list nearby? Is this the best home for your lifestyle compared to others? Basically, share their experience with you so that you have the full benefit of what they have seen. Terry makes a good point below – it should be shaped and customized to your specific needs.

Like this: http://tiny.cc/kevin162

This way you can sort through the available homes that are most attractive to you, and make a well educated decision; that will treat you well long into the future. Does this sound like what you have seen?

Kevin Pellatiro
Hoping to help you take advantage of the market – when you are ready.
(615)714-7918 | kpellatiro@realtracs.com | http://signswemustobserve.blogspot.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 20, 2010
Find the needs of the buyer. Do the market research. Point out the differences in the properties they might not realize. Be honest and don't push the buyers on any one property bc of a bonus or commission.
http://www.Shelbyhunton.com
Communicate communicate communicate

Search diligently to find a property that meets your needs

When you find a property, run a CMA to make sure you're not overpaying / advise you what a good offer would be

Communicate communicate communicate
Mack, strong personality? You??
Just wanted to say that I think that pushy salespeople work for only a segment of the population.
For someone like me, and maybe you?
Nope, not so much. As a matter of fact, not at all for me. Total turnoff and almost always will mean a loss of sale for pushy salesperson.
Pushy implies someone trying to sell me something I may not need or really want or should have.
Even if it works on someone who is perhaps too...uhm... polite to argue, that doesn't make it right.
I will forever and always fight against any agent (or any other pushy salesperson) who thinks he/she can use the force of their will to the detriment of others and of benefit to themselves.
I'm sorry, I think I might have gotten a little off topic.
Without being initially aware of it, I think I found one of my buttons being pushed.
Tim, I know about strong personalities!

The sad fact of the matter is, for all the complaining people do about pushy salespeople and upselling counter clerks, it works. It really does.

Thankfully, there are always people who will stand in opposition, to defend the right of the individual to think for themselves. But realistically, people don't buy as much as they are sold.
Hey Tim,
I love my new oil tank with the thingy on it too! We underwent a major renovation several years ago which involved replacing our oil tank and I am kind of embarrassed to say how cool it was to see the brand new shiny-clean oil tank in place, which actually has a gauge that seems to give an accurate measure of how full your tank is. I can honestly describe the feeling as..... well.... a little thrilling.
Ok, now I'm more than kind of embarrassed....

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your posts and I look forward to seeing more.

Sorry, Looking2 long for temporarily hijacking your thread. Great question, by the way. Also, you do know that you can turn off the email alerts, right? It can be kind of overwhelming to wake up to numerous emails.
I would love to hear back from you, to see what you think so far. I love it when the asker of a question gives feedback.
Debbie,
The holidays and an underground oil tank. Needless to say, my future driveway is trashed, but I'm not facing 100K in future liability. I love my future new oil tank in the basement, it has this thingy on it that will tell me how full it is.
A gold star to the sellers as well. I could not have picked a better family to be on the 'opposing' side. We just walked through the house on Thrusday with our future contractor, and we found things fixed that we did not expect to be touched except by us after we closed. A couple of small details that even we did not originally notice.
I treated them good in negotiations on price, they are now treating me well in return.
So Tim - pardon me while I gulp - but.......... 6 weeks for your attorney review?? I won't even dare ask why..................I will just pin another star on your agent's lapel.......or maybe on your attorney's lapel, tool! :)

Looking2long...sorry........ didn't meant to stray from your question.........hope the suggestions offered here will help.

Tim - once you move in, you'll especially enjoy all the great restaurants located along Bloomfield Ave......I know they are good - I have tried them all!

Best wishes.......
Debbie,
Thanks for the compliment. Thanks also for picking up on the fact that I’m sure my agent will be there after I close as well. I’m sure I’ll have another laundry list of questions and stuff. At the very least, I figure he’ll be on my Christmas card list so I can show off what I have done to the house.

I was thinking of continuing the post by adding what a “good buyer” is, but thought that would be best left to an actual agent to describe. I gave my agent what I hope was a realistic portrayal of my good and bad points at the outset of our relationship. (I’ll have to go back and find my original e-mail and ask him).

Mack,
(smile) you were supposed to catch it. At the very least, I have often been described, nicely, as a strong personality, something that is both a positive and a negative in my life. As a good buyer, I realized that in this world of real estate, having me at the negotiations would have been a most fatal error on my part. I think that people more times than not, put the blame on their agents when the blame falls more on them. Truth be told, when assessing the errors made along the way, I don’t think there were any that involved my agent at all. Most I can easily tract to me or the seller. I will say that my first approach to answering this question was to tell the buyer to focus on what a good buyer would do as opposed to what a good agent should do.

As to the ‘best time to buy’ comment, I was sure someone would not let me get away with it (smile) I’m sure the scientist that are working on the ‘chaos’ theory use real estate as one of their models to prove and disprove the tenants of their theory. Real estate is so fluid and ever changing that I think your statements are certainly correct, ‘best time’ is best left to the individual. My comments were more directed to those that use ‘now is the best time to buy’ as a marketing tool to pressure those that are the fence. I’m sure there are places where high pressure sales are appropriate, but when I’m putting down three times my yearly income, I’m going to take my time and do the due diligence involved. Something I think all buyers should do. This is one of the reasons my attorney review took six weeks to complete.

BTW, I once stopped shopping K-Mart, just because I was so sick of hearing "thank you for shopping K-mart.' from each and every cashier. I would also purposely NOT buy 'fries with that' no matter how much I wanted them for the same reason. Yea, strong personality.
- all my…ummm..your egotistical and emotional components

I caught that, Tim!

- a good agent would never tell you now is absolutely the best time to buy and give you a list of reasons why that is so.

Y'know, I wish we would have a moratorium on the word, "best." "Unique," too. But, "best," first.

"Best," is not always useful, what with the perfect being the enemy of the good. "Best" means, there isn't any better.

If the truth be told, agents rarely say, Now Is The Best Time To Buy. We are 'way more likely to say - regardless of market conditions, I concede - Now Is A Great Time To Buy.

Great is different than Best. Although, here in Seattle, this may be the Best time for me to buy, and I bought my first house in 1988. I might feel differently next year, but right now, I'm looking to max out. May not be the Best time for you, but I think it's the Best time for me.
PS................(yes, I'm adding another 2 cents here).......... being a "good" agent, assuming one has the skills, is even easier when one is working with a "good" buyer !

This means....... open & honest communication on both sides... lots of give and take..............patience on the side of the agent, but loyalty on the side of the buyer.

Tim, you sound like you were a great buyer!

Looking2long..................best wishes in your search!
Great answer, Tim - I couldn't have said it better myself....so I won't try!

Thumbs Up for you!

Let me add just one thing.....a good agent will still be there for you AFTER the closing!

I still get calls from clients from 20+ years ago asking for recommendations, or for help even in non-real estate related areas. I am always happy to help.
An agent should listen to what you want in a home and why you want it. They should have an honest discussion with you about what your goals are, how long you plan to stay in the home, how long you plan to stay in the neighborhood and help guide you to a great home and good investment.
I think one of the most important jobs is running comps on homes to make sure they are priced at market value and guiding the buyer to making a reasonable offer depending on their level of interest in the home . I have gotten many homes for a large reduction by preparing a packet for the seller with supporting doc.s as to why our offer was reasonable. Likewise I have helped buyers avoid losing a home because they did not put in reasonable offer. Ultimately it is the buyers decision on what to offer but it is the agents job to provide information to base that decision on.
From there the agent should stay in touch with the title company , lender and inspectors to make sure all deadlines are met and things are moving forward.
Web Reference: http://justcalljo.com
My first interview with buyers needs to have a section devoted to what their needs are. Tell me your story, tell me where you want to be five, ten years down the road, talk to me, let me see if I can help. There's another thread where a young woman is thinking of buying a condo that she can't really swing, but she'd take in roommates, and I pointed out to her that condos generally have provisions against that sort of thing.

A good agent should have a broad range of skills to customize a program for each particular client. However, newer agents might not have the broad skillset, but they might have enough skill to help YOU reach YOUR goals.

So a good agent will have what it takes to get you what you want, and then, they'll go out and do it.
Looking 2 long,

There have been many answers to your question all good answers. The real answer is that a good agent is exactly that "your agent".. They first listen to you and find out what you are "looking 2 long" for, help you make sure your goals are achievable, guide you through the process and the many things that need to be done reach your goal. Every transaction is differnet and the goals of each client are unique to their circumstances. The agents' job is the put all those variables together and help YOU arrive at the destination you are "looking 2 long" for. Keep in mind that while the destination is certainly the goal, the trip is full of potholes and a "good agent" is your navigator.

Hope this helps

Gerald Williams
Affiliate Broker
Weichert Realtors - BenchMark
901-413-2233
email: gh_williams@yahoo.com

http://www.Weichert.com
http://www.PumpUpMyCreditScore.com
http://www.BenchMarkMemphis.com
http://www.AffinityHomesllc.com
You've already gotten some great answers.

The common thread I see is communication.
Its so important for a buyer to feel comfortable enough with their agent that they have no difficulty communicating wants, needs and ability in their desire to find a home.
Its just as important for an agent to have a well-tuned listening ability because its not always what buyers say but sometimes what they don't say that gives us clues to help people find the right home for them.
A good agent then has to have the ability to communicate back to the buyer what is available and what is realistic and what needs to be done to meet that goal.

A good agent should explain the process every step of the way, especially when signatures start being put to paper. Buyers should feel empowered and comfortably knowledgeable by the time they get the keys at the closing table.

I also feel that a good agent should make this process as positive and as much fun as possible. We are here to smooth the bumps, sometimes hold hands and wipe tears and never let the buyer lose sight of the goal, even if the goal shifts mid-game.
Home buying is a huge, sometimes scary adventure and even if the ride is rough, the destination is grand!
Every situation and transaction is different. It sounds as though you are having difficulty with your current agent or perhaps in finding an agent that you are comfortable with. More detailed information would be helpful. However, a good agent is one who always puts their client's needs ahead of theirs. I specifically used the term client, not customer. The differentcebetween the two is a client requires a contract between the agent and the buyer. There are some who are uncomfortable with that. However, if a buyer is not willing to commit to me, then I have to ask what incentive is their for me to work for them. A not so perfect example might be..............hubby and wife go to a furniture store to buy a new bed. They spend an hour-and-a-half with a gentleman that answers all their questions. He is very knowledgeable, helpful and goes out of his to assist them. Then he has to take an emergency call and he returns a few moments later to see the couple sitting at the desk, writing out a check with another sales person. Moral of the story.........the first guy doesn't feed his family that day.

Personally, when I work with a buyer, I sit down with them to obtain as much information as I can in order to better help THEM. Then I make sure that they have met with a lender and have or are in the process of getting at the least a pre-approval. This is important because in the State of Wisconsin it is becoming more and more common for sellers to require that before allowing a showing. In addition, you must have that when putting in an offer on a home.

I also have packet that I have put together with very useful information regarding taxes, insurance, interest rates, etc. My buyers find it extremely helpful in assisting them in understanding the whole process. Once we have signed the contract, I set them up on an "auto email". This will allow my clients to receive everything that comes on the market within their criteria the moment it hits MLS. I have some clients who prefer to drive by before calling me and others who don't, but either way the next step is that they emial me with the address and MLS #'s of the homes that they wish to view. Then I map them out and make the necessary calls to the listing agents and/or sellers to set the appointment.

This is just the beginning of the process. Once we find a home and write an offer, that is where the real negotiation begins. It is important to have an agent whom you trust and who is very familiar with your circumstance in order for that agent to properly represent you.

The bottom line is this. If you want an agent commit to you then you need to commit to them. Ask friends and relatives and co-workers who they have used. Word of mouth advertising is still the best there is. Personalities can be an important aspect as well. Make sure it's a good fit. Interview several agents before making that final decision.

Linda
They should help you through the process of finding the best home to meet your needs and to help you stay on course of the original input you gave your Realtor at the initial meeting. I see that your username is "Looking2long"! Nice! I show an average of 10 homes to my clients. The buyers that see fewer are typically happier! Having a good agent listen to your needs and then determining a course of action will be crucial. Be realistic, listen to the input from your agent, but be discerning of their knowledge.

If you have seen too many homes, you need to alter your wish list. I assume the agent has shown you homes that could have worked, but maybe your just looking for something that isn't there? Or maybe you and the agent are not a fit? I encourage my clients to take my advise and let me help them through the process, otherwise this househunting thing can become aggravating!
A good consultant (agent) will ask the right questions and the listen to the answers. Take those answers and compare them to the realities of the market ie..does the property that the buyer wants exist. At that point the agent should be able to show the buyer the proprties that fit. This is a short answer for that question but if your agent is not making you happy tell them, if that does not work talk to their broker.
You mean, besides helping them compose sentences? It all depends on the client's needs.

A good batting coach doesn't work on footwork when the hitter needs help in keeping his hands up and his hips properly rotated; they customize the program for the player.

A good agent customizes their worksheet to meet the buyer's needs. You may as well ask, what is a good buyer supposed to do to maximize the agent's skills?