2doggycats, Home Buyer in 02115

What information should my Buyer Agent provide me?

Asked by 2doggycats, 02115 Mon May 13, 2013

I am going on my first showing tomorrow with my agent and do not know much about home buying. It is my first time on the market for a home and I could use all the guidance I can get. Do agents usually provide a folder with all the steps to buy a home? Useful tips and tools? etc....

Answers

10
The very first thing your Buyer Agent should do is provide you with the Massachusetts Mandatory Licensee-Consumer Relationship Disclosure form.

This is a document the law requires be provided to a potential client at the first meeting to see a property or evaluate a home (if Seller). It is not a contract, it does not obligate you to work with the Agent. It simply states they explained Agency to you and you understand how they are representing you for the showing(s).

Prior to my first meeting with a potential client, I have a brief conversation with them about the home buying process and reassure them that this isn't the only conversation we'll have.

A Buyer Agent's job is to guide and advise you from start to finish. Providing a comparable market analysis when you've found the home and discussing strategy with you. Ultimately the decision on what to offer is yours.

A good Buyer Agent has a list of professionals in related industries that they can recommend to you, should you need one - for example Loan Officers and Home Inspectors. Your Buyer agent attends the Home Inspection with you and helps you understand and analyze the Home Inspection Report.

A Buyer Agent's job does not end once the Purchase & Sales document has been signed. Knowing when your Loan Commitment Date is and making sure an Extension has been signed, if that date is not going to be met, is just another piece of the job.

I love attending the Closing, while the process is complete, I still want to be there to see them realize their dream has come true...

Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.JoyceLin-RE.com
There is a lot of good advice that was offered to you, but if you haven't already you should get preapproved before you go out and look at properties with an agent. That way you know what you can afford and the agent knows the price range to find homes in for you.

Here's the 3-step preapproval process if you have not done this already: http://www.brooklinemortgage.com/3-step-preapproval/

Good luck! - Jarred
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 22, 2013
The best possible thing you can do is sit down with your agent in their office and have a discussion of what your expectations are. For some home buyers the process is important and for others they could care less. A good buyers agent can tailor their services to your needs. Every home buyer is different.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 16, 2013
Yes. Make sure your look at at least three homes before placing an offer. Just for comparison and piece of mind. You can always google first time home buyer tips. They have plenty of site with great information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 15, 2013
As mentioned earlier 1st time Home Buyer classes are a great way to learn the process before you actually start... And a good agent will explain the process before you get into it so that you know what to expect.

Whoever you're using as a Buyer's Agent should be doing that with you as much for your benefit as theirs. In a market like we're seeing right now, if you're not prepared for each step you may not be able to respond quickly enough to get the home that you're looking for as many properties are receiving multiple offers at a a time.

Communication is always key between an agent and their client.

Best wishes in your home search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 13, 2013
Your agent should be your knowledgeable and experienced guide throughout the entire transaction explaining every step in the buying process. Talk to your agent so he/she can explain what to expect. First time home buyer classes are a great tool too, but if you already picked a savvy agent he/she should also be able to explain the entire process & make it an enjoyable experience. Best of luck
Web Reference: http://wenrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 13, 2013
A buyer agent should tailor their service to a client's individual needs. As Masha mentioned, that is going to depend on what you want to get out of their service. I prefer to meet face to face before touring properties to go over my service, what's happening in the marketplace, review the home buying process, figure out your preferences etc etc. It's all about what you want.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 13, 2013
Ask your agent what they're going to do for you. If you go to CHAPA.org, you can sign up for one of their classes for first time home buyers. My buyers have found them helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 13, 2013
Your agent should be there to help you all along the way. That's why they're YOUR agent. They should be able to find answers and provide you with all the help and assistance you need.
Your agent should walk you through every step of the process, it's what a experienced agent would do.

best of luck