Home Buying in Danville>Question Details

rtjunes, Home Buyer in Danville, CA

What if you purchased a home with a permitted garage converted to a bedroom and how can i find out for sure that it had a permit?

Asked by rtjunes, Danville, CA Sat Jan 26, 2013

If i change it back will i run into problems when i sell?

Help the community by answering this question:


You will need to go to the Town of Danville and Contra Costa County in Martinez to ask for any permits. And yes, you will run into problems if no permits were pulled. Seller should convert it back to original permitted sructure and go from there. If the Town of Danville finds out that it was done without a permit, you could get fined and have to convert it back to a garage after you purchase it - especially if it is a stand-alone unit (possible rental). Either you will need to fix it or the seller will need to fix it. Get the seller to do it in order to avoid other permit and legal issues issues.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013
To find out if a permit was taken out on a home you will need to go to the City of Danville planning and permit department and request copies of permits for the home. If you are in an unincorporated area of Danville or in Alamo, you would need to go to the same department, but in Martinez. Some times you are charged a very nominal fee for a copy of a permit.
When you get it, make sure it has been "finaled" by the city or county (not just taken out)
If you change it back, I would do that with a permit as well.
Sue Smith
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
If you are concerned that a seller has made changes to a home that are unpermitted you can go to the local city inspections office and request all the permits that have been pulled for that property. If the proper permits were not pulled make sure you find out the penalties and costs involved in correcting the situation. Ask the seller to compensate you for this by lowering the price or walk away. If proper permits were not pulled on a major project then it is likely there may be other issues that are not being disclosed as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
If the bedroom was added with out permits then the new owner will have to either revert the bedroom back to a garage or get permits to allow for the bedroom. If the new owner changes it back to a garage then there should be no problem when reselling it provided that all changes are made with permits from the county/state. go to http://www.ci.danville.ca.us/Permits/ for more information. Hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
You need to check with the County planning department in Martinez - assuming it is permitted and you want to change it back, you should ask them if you need a permit to do that. You probably will.

It may be worth seeing what the square footage of your home is in the public record. If it was increased due to a conversion of garage to living space, then most likely it was done with permits.

Bernard Gibbons

Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
The building dept in your town or county has all permits issued, you can just check with them. You can also ask them about converting it, you might need a permit to do it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer