Here's a link to the Mayo Clinics info on mold:
If you are very concerned you probably would want to have testing done before and after any work done, good luck.
Mold can be an issue for those who are sensitive to it . If you cannot afford to hire the contractors to do the work, you should be able to find out what needs to be done, and then do the work yourself or with friends.
Habitat for Humanity did have a program to assist disabled, elderly and low income homeowner with repairs. It's worth a try to see if Habitat in your area would be willing to assit you.
There are also Church groups who will assist (free of charge) low income homeowner with repairs. These groups have licensed contractors as members who use the volunteer efforts of the young adults in the congregation to help those in need.
Jason is correct and let me clarify
1.) Moisture (humidity over 62%) -- often mold is a sign of water leak/damage
2.) Temperatures 50 degrees and warmer (basements with dryers are notorious)
3.) Food source, something organic (drywall, clothing, etc)
Mold are spores found in nature and in the air. Black mold is bad. If untreated it can effect your mucus membranes (eyes, nose and lungs); particularly the young and elderly.
I'm a firm believer that homes should be inspected for mold and water damage. It's not required in many states, but if you're buying a home you want to know if there's any where you can't see. We test 3 locations indoors and one outdoors as a baseline. We also use a thermal imaging gun which can "see" cool spots behind drywall, which can be an indication of water.
Remember, since mold are spores, if disturbed they float in the air, unseen, until they settle again and begin reproduction. So just that your basement has been cleaned, painted and recarpeted doesn't mean it's been removed.
If you have any questions, call us 1-877-216-MOLD
Mold needs 3 things to survive:
2.) Tempertures 50 degrees and warmer
3.) Food source, something organic
without one of these sources mold will not grow. If the mold was succesfully removed from the basement and one of those sources was removed then all should be ok. However if those 3 things are still present then you have the potential for more issues. The black mold is considered the most aggressive (typicaly you only see this where there is a ton of moisture such as a flooded home) and can cause the most amount of structure and health damage but not all molds are bad for us unless you have allergies to them. I would recommend that you have an expert in this feild come into your home and test for mold and explain to you the different strains of mold and what health risks you may or may not be exposed to.
Good Luck and Good Health!
I don't know that real estate agents are really qualified to answer your question. Hopefully there will be a medical doctor out there who sees your question and can answer it for you.