Home Buying in The Woodlands>Question Details

Texastea, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

What happened in the 1994 flood in The Woodlands TX and do I need to worry if a house flooded then but not since? Is NFIP insurance avail / expensive?

Asked by Texastea, Houston, TX Tue May 4, 2010

Answers

8
I have lived in The Woodlands since 1981 and been an agent here since 1983, so I was here for the '94 flooding. The Woodlands as a whole had very little flooding. The design of the area with drainage ditches and Lake Woodlands, carries the bulk of the water off and floods the golf courses. There were pocket areas that some homes did take water. Some of these were neighborhoods whose home backed to Spring Creek and some were in the Grogan's Point area. The back of some of those lots are in the flood plain, although the homes are not.

That was a 500 year flood that we had. Yes, as others have said, flood insurance is very reasonable. You need to have the policy issued for 30 days before it takes effect and most people don't realize that.

There were other areas in south Montgomery County that had problems too. Timber Lakes/Timber Ridge has some areas that flooded and subdivisions down the Sawdust corridor had problems. I45 itself flooded in areas.

As a whole the engineers who helped develope The Woodlands have done an excellent job with drainage areas. I have owned 4 homes here and none of them have ever taken water.

Hope this helps with your question! If you do buy a home here, I can help you and I have an excellent insurance agent with Gibralter Insurance that can give you a range of what flood insurance costs.
Web Reference: http://www.BarbaraRobin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 5, 2010
This government website has some good information on flood insurance.

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

Also, you can check to see if that area is considered in a flood plain using the FEMA website.

http://www.fema.gov/hazard/flood/info.shtm
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 5, 2010
We had a home in the High Oaks subdivision of Grogans Mill Village that we sold before the flood. A couple days after the flood, we drove through High Oaks and could not believe the amount of homes that were flooded. There were not just a few homes adjacent to the bayou, but a large portion of this subdivision's homes were flooded to some extent. The telltale sign - carpets, padding, furniture, etc piled on the front lawns.
Funny how only real estate agents responded. Timberlakes/Timber Ridge flooded because Lake Conroe dam had to release water that flowed into Spring Creek. There are areas around Spring Creek that were wooded but now have been developed. Scary to think what will happen now if we were to receive another rainfall event like that. There will be a lot more property damage than there was in 1994. Most of these areas along Spring Creek were under water.

Flood insurance was a life saver for us. We had 9' of water in a one story house. The ONLY thing that was not destroyed were the christmas decorations in the attic. Everything else was a total loss.

My advice, be very wary of purchasing anywhere near Spring Creek.

Former Residence
Timberlakes/Timber Ridge
Gary Lane
While some homes flooded in 1994 and are in lower areas, many parts of The Woodlands remained dry. As the answers below stated, you may want to carry insurance any way. However, dealing with a flood problem is more than financial. It is a disruption to your life. To avoid the likelihood of flooding, I will be happy to give you a personal tour of homes in The Woodlands which are in your price range and that are on the higher elevations. Please let me know your price range and I will send you a list of new and resale homes that are both in your price range and in areas least likely to ever flood. Please e-mail me directly for this at Linda@LindaFath.com.
PS. Flood Insurance is very inexpensive and I highly recommend getting it, even when it's not required. I'm in an area of Spring/TheWoodlands that has never flooded but I have always carried Flood Insurance. I pay around 300.00 annually.
You can call your insurance Agent and they will be able to tell you if a particular home/area flooded. They will also be able to give you a quote as well as tell you if you will be required to have flood insurance.

Typically, if a home has flooded, it will be disclosed in the Seller's Disclosure. Also typically, your Real Estate Agent will request a copy of this, prior to your making an offer, this way you have a clue on the history of the home.

Speaking of Clue, you can go on line and look up CLUE Report. This is a 7 year history report of any losses reported on a property

Insurance prices have gone up, come back down and up again for various reason. Most recently, the two hurricanes. However, I personally was able to get insurance via Progressive much cheaper than with Nationwide whom I was with.

If you are not currently working with a Real Estate Agent, I would love the opportunity to sit with you and discuss your home buying needs.

Rosa Jimenez
e-PRO
rosa@mylocalrealty.com
I have been a Realtor here in The Wooldands for over 5 years and lived in the here for the same amount of time, I have never heard of any major flooding. As for NFIP or flood insurance, it is reasonably inexpensive here.

Check the link below: