Home Buying in Oklahoma City>Question Details

Joshua Patton, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

What does the inspection on a home cost, for the buyer? Is it a percentage of the home or what? What is the high/low range?

Asked by Joshua Patton, Dallas, TX Fri Mar 28, 2014

Answers

8
Joshua,
Very generally, I'd say $300 to $600. The larger the house, the higher the fee. Ask your Realtor for some referrals to the best inspectors. We see many and not are created equal. A good inspector will give you a thorough over view of the house, it's condition, things to keep an eye on and anticipate for the future. They will know their limitations and call for a specialist when necessary. Best of luck.
A home inspection will normally cost around $300-$500 depending on the size and cost of home. Just make sure your inspector has over 15-20 years of experience and has great reviews. The more experience and the more inspections the inspector has done is a great sign!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2014
A few hundred dollars. In California it is around $300 or less for a condo. Huge home seen in Dallas show will fetch around $500.

A good one will give you quantitative data. Water pressure, temperature of A/C, heater, water. Gas leakage at connection. Some will check electrical connector for most outlets.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2014
Home inspectors are independent business people who set the value of their services; based on the local demand for such services. The average cost for a 3 bedroom & 2 bath 1500 sf house in Yuba City CA is around $450.00
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2014
300 dollars is a good average.
The lender requires a home inspection that is performed by someone of their choosing. I find these inspections to be less than adequate. The people performing them are not competent. They charge ~400 in Oklahoma City plus an additional 100 for a follow-up to make sure anything found unsatisfactory on the inspection was taken care of. They will almost always find something unsatisfactory just so they can get this follow-up visit that takes them less than 5 minutes.

I would suggest paying for your own inspection. I paid $350 to have a structural engineer inspect the house prior to purchase. He found a lot of issues with the house such as three areas of roof damage(all of which leaked), every sink in the house either did not work at all or leaked, multiple electrical issues, multiple foundation issues, and the list goes on. The idiot that the lenders sent over found some drywall damage and a cracked window. The lender inspection was laughable.

Paying for my own inspection by someone competent that was looking out for my best interest was well worth the money. I negotiated the price down significantly based on my inspection.
You get what you pay for. I like to know if the inspector is licensed in anything besides home inspection. Depending on the square footage of the home I have seen from 250 and up.

I'm sure it varies by state/area, but here in Oklahoma City it goes anywhere from $150 & up depending on the square footage of the home.
Many general home inspectors charge around $250, depending on the square footage- and the termite inspection tends to be about $85. This is a buyer's expense, but money well spent. It helps a buyer know more about the condition of the home and if a specialist needs to be called in, as well, such as a structural engineer if foundation issues are suspected... If you and your Realtor have negotiated a Repair Cap in the contract, the inspections also help you in deciding what to ask for in way of repairs on the TRR form. Lastly, if serious issues with the house come to light during your home inspection and you are within your TRR period, you can get out of the contract, if you are not satisfied. So inspections are well worth the expense and assist you further, if major issues are discovered that may require further negotiation between buyer and seller above the repair cap. Give me a call if you are in the market to buy or sell. Katy Stark
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014