Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

What does the future of Morgan Hill, CA look like? Will it be a good location to buy a new home at?

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Fri Nov 25, 2011

Any specific reasons (schools, etc)? Any future plans by the city that may affect future housing prices in this town? How is it compared to Gilroy?

Answers

8
Home88

Pros:
More choices of new construction.
Small town feel, more rural - agriculture, farms
On average, larger lot size for homes
Cal Train accessibility
Escape from hustle and bustle of Silicon Valley

Cons:
Limited amount of higher scoring API schools
Commute time by car
Options for entertainment and food- lots of franchised shops
Local economy dependent on agriculture and overflow of Silicon Valley
Housing market was last to boom, and one of first to bust - more underwater on ratio compared to San Jose

Morgan Hill is a great option for larger homes for the dollar, newer homes for the dollar and if you can get within the Nordstrom school assignment a great option to San Jose.

San Martin- lovely west side against the hills, take a drive down Sycamore Drive or Oak Glen Drive.

West Gilroy, has stronger schools and nice solid suburban neighborhoods. Take a look in Country Estates on the west end of Mantelli for one neighborhood option.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 27, 2011

My apologies for typos. These hand held devices aren't always the best to reply from. Hit back button and there it went. My apologies for all of using these hand helds. Typing with nails...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
MH had the most home appreciation until the bubble at 16% per year. LA, LG, Saratoga had 4-5%. Right now homes are sold below value but are recovering. It is roughly 1/2 of west SJ at around $220-250/sf gla. City planning advocate controlled growth as for 40 years it avoided annexed from SJ. New semi-custom are around 700K+....

Gilroy home prices is even lower. City has more tax revenue from the Factory Outlet sales. Schools on west end are better than most schools in SJ with high 800s. Even high schools enjoyed new and higher academic achievement. For example, TD Owens is (926) but PA High and Gunn (renowned globally) are 909 & 900.

The South County is known for recreation and estates. Same size homes will fetch 2X in Saratoga or 3X in Woodside.

I have called MH our home for 28 years and know most long time residents. A friendly safe town.
Sam Shueh, keller williams realty
Web Reference: http://sam.shueh.net/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011

Morgan Hill Glroy is a great to buy. It defintely is the time to buy while prices are. If you look at the statistics on Morgan Hill and Gilroy you will see that prices were very high at a time. Like all areas, prices have dropped as well. Gilroy and Morgan Hill do have your moderat to upscale homes at fantastic prices now. The value will rise as we will recover what's happening in the market. Its a beautiful place to raise your children, still have a bit of the country feel left as well. It could well turn out to be another Los Gatos kinf of get away. You have great rest., wineres near by that shows how it could ever turn into a Napa feel as well, which if you look at properties surounding those area are primal real estate. If you can foresee growth, you can see the potential of this area. Now, if your commuite isn't far, thi could be a perfect place to buy.

Hope this insight helps and don't hesitate to call if you need help.

Lillie Missbrenner
Better Homes and Garden
925-628-9100
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
The other agents gave you very good data, the main draw back of Morgan Hill and Gilroy is the commute. You cannot beat the New Home prices in Gilroy and morgan Hill for what you get for the money. Remember that they will be the last to appreciate after the San Jose area that is because of the commute, but if you plan on staying there for awhile you will get the most for your money.
If you are interested in new homes in this area, contact me I would be happy to assist you.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
I have always had a special place in my heart for Morgan Hill. It used to be mostly farms and small ranches, the pace was slower and it enjoyed a more small town kind of feel. I like the fact that a large number of homes there have larger lots and a bit more space between neighbors.
It's a little more of a drive for most Silicon Valley jobs but you do get more for your money. I prefer Morgan Hill over Gilroy as the schools rate higher in general and it's also a bit closer to Silicon Valley. Morgan Hill has developed a bit slower than neighboring San Jose and this created a more cohesive look overall.
As Silicon Valley continues to expand and grow Morgan Hill will surely remain a favorable place to live and raise a family. I believe that the light rail will eventually make it's way into Morgan Hill and when that happens it will be a really wonderful alternative to singular commuting. I vote "yes".
April Young
Myrick and Young Team
Keller Williams Realty Silicon Valley
2110 S. Bascom Ave.
Campbell, Ca. 95008
Direct 408-605-1252
Fax 408-583-3672
http://www.MyrickandYoung.com
"Information's pretty thin
stuff unless mixed with experience"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 25, 2011
excellent answer by CJ Braisel
In my opinion, Morgan Hill is a very nice community, although it is a bit of a commute to San Jose.

I expect that the main factor affecting housing prices will be improvements in the local economy. As San Jose housing prices increase, more people will begin looking to Morgan Hill. The increase in demand will cause housing prices in Morgan Hill to rise.

With respect to Gilroy, I have several clients who live in Gilroy and love it. Right now housing prices in Gilroy are relatively low, when compared with housing prices in San Jose. Again, as the economy improves and housing prices in San Jose rise, there will be more demand for housing in Gilroy, which will cause Gilroy housing prices to rise.

Right now, the commute from Gilroy and Morgan Hill to San Jose in the major factor which keeps demand for houses in Gilroy and Morgan Hill relatively low when compared with San Jose. However when the economy improves and demand for housing increases, both Morgan Hill and Gilroy will see increased interest from people looking to buy homes.

Charles Butterfield
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Email Addres: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872