Home Buying in Newark>Question Details

V, Home Buyer in New Jersey

What does it cost to have a house with a pool in terms of maintenance cost, additional insurance...?

Asked by V, New Jersey Thu Mar 27, 2008

We would like a house with a pool, but arent sure what that the additional costs would be for say, a standard in ground gunite pool. Does anyone have any ballpark figures?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

2
I have an inground pool, in East Brunswick. Tax wise, as I understand it, my pool costs about $300 per year, just to have it.

I go to sams and buy chlorine tablets, oonce every two years... 75.00 for a large buket of tablets. Also buy 25 bags of shock - $49.00 per box at Sams.. good for the season. balance and condtitioners, at Wal Mart - cost er year - 50>00 tops. basically should cost about 100 - 125 per year for chemicals.

I open and close my own pool... you will learn how to do it if you choose... if not it is about 200 -250 to open and close... a real waste of $ since it is realatively easy. Just ned a Powerful leaf blower to blow the lines at closinng, nothing to do at opening other then add water and chemicals.

No noticiable insurance jump due to a pool. Gunite is better on chemicals and will reduec costs.. slightly ( as I understand it) Get the Pool!!! it is worth the time and effort... trust me here... on that first 90% day.. you will be very happy.
Hello V,

I have a vinyl lined inground pool vs.gunite but standard maintenance prices should be similar. In my area you would be looking at $500-$600 per year to have the pool professionally opened and closed. You could save money and do it yourself which would only cost you the chemicals. You will also need chemicals to last you throughout the summer. I spend about $200 -$300 on chlorine, shock treatment, pH balancers. You could spent a lot less if you order it all in bulk in the Spring. I am not sure about my insurance but I don't remember it going up dramatically when we put the pool in.

Buying a house with the pool already built-in will be huge savings to you if the house is priced right. Sellers cannot price the cost of the pool into the house. $8,000-$12,000 for the pool should be added to the price of the house depending on the size and condition of the pool. It would cost you at least 3 times that amount to put in a brand new pool yourself.

Web Reference: http://www.wnyhomevoice.com