Home Buying in Wilmette>Question Details

hulk, Real Estate Pro in 60091

What does The CAGE mean in relation to Wilmette real estate?

Asked by hulk, 60091 Thu Mar 5, 2009

Answers

11
It's one of the more desireable areas in Wilmette, east of Green Bay Road, that includes the east-west streets...

Chestnut
Ashland
Greenwood
and Elmwood

Get it?... C-A-G-E... this is an area of broad brick streets, mature overhanging trees, and elegant older homes that stand guard over the area. Good proximity to downtown Wilmette, to the lakefront, Green Bay and Sheridan Roads.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 5, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
The neighborhood known as the CAGE is comprised of Chestnut, Ashland, Greenwood and Elmwood and Forest Avenue (that’s where the acronym comes from.....leaving off the F..... however have heard a few of the locals endearingly refer to the area as CAGE-F!) between Sheridan Road on the East & Green Bay Road on the West, in Northeast Wilmette.

This beautiful, historic neighborhood is chock-full of gracious, typically older and well-maintained homes, lush landscaping…and those unforgettable cobblestone roads!! It tends to be one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Wilmette, for good reason! The desirable homes, and the area’s proximity to the Lake, parks and shopping, are second to none. Particularly noteworthy are the many Victorian “Painted Ladies,” located in the CAGE, which offer a beautiful alternative to the gracious Colonials.

Residents of the CAGE enjoy access to Central School, the largest of Wilmette’s elementary schools. And the nearby Metra stop makes for a hassle-free business commute. Gillson Park along the Lake Michigan shore is a delight for all ages. Plaza del Lago offers shopping without the big mall headaches! And the wide array of diversions in Evanston, are just moments away by car or train.
Not much to be added to Alan May's excellent answer other than the GAGE is considered by most people to be THE place to buy in Wilmette.
The neighborhood known as the CAGE is comprised of Chestnut, Ashland, Greenwood and Elmwood and Forest Avenue, that’s where the acronym comes from…..leaving off the F….. (however I have heard a few of the locals endearingly refer to the area as CAGE-F!) The CAGE is between Sheridan Road on the East & Green Bay Road on the West, in Northeast Wilmette.

This beautiful, historic neighborhood is chock-full of gracious, typically older and well-maintained homes, lush landscaping…and those unforgettable cobblestone roads!! It tends to be one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Wilmette, where the median sale price for a single family home is $1,030,000. The desirable homes, and the area’s proximity to the Lake, parks and shopping, are second to none. Particularly noteworthy are the many Victorian “Painted Ladies,” located in the CAGE, which offer a beautiful alternative to the gracious Colonials.

Residents of the CAGE enjoy access to Central School, the largest of Wilmette’s elementary schools. And the nearby Metra stop makes for a hassle-free business commute. Gillson Park along the Lake Michigan shore is a delight for all ages. Plaza del Lago offers shopping without the big mall headaches! For more information about local housing inventory in the CAGE, visit NewTrierLiving.info.

Lydia DeLeo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
while there are a fair number of homes listed on the Wilmette Historic Preservation site on Forest, East of Greenbay, I've never heard anybody include Forest in the CAGE.

That doesn't mean that Forest and Lake don't have some wonderful and historic homes... they do. But the CAGE is the CAGE.
Actually, it includes FOREST as well, even though there is no F in CAGE. The area east of Sheridan, north of Lake, and east of GBR. This area has been recognized by the Village of Wilmette as an official Historic Area.
I think we all answered your question about C A G E, but my question one more time, are you intersted in purchasing a property in Wilmette, or were you just interested in finding out about the area called CAGE?
If on the other hand you are looking to buy either in Wilmette or the surrounding suburbs, contact me I'd love to assist you with any kind of information you need or questions that need answers... If you want to explore the markets and your options to purchase a property now or in the future, tell me what you may be looking for and I e-mail them to you daily....
No phone calls no bother, just useful information, I promise!
Edith Karoline _ YourRealtor4Life!
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
The CAGE is the Area in NE Wilmette that runs from Chestnut to Elmwood and is bounded on the East by Sheridan and the West by Green Bay road. The four streets that comprise it are Chestnut, Ashland, Greenwood and Elmwood thus creating the Acronym CAGE. It is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Wilmette with many large homes and lots and is close to Lake Michigan and Downtown Wilmette. johnnash.homes@gmail.com
The CAGE is an acronym for four streets in Wilmette: Chestnut Ashland Greenwood and Elmwood. It's just a way of referring to these streets.
Here's a small video sampling... click on the link below.
Hi Doug,
the earlier answer explains very well how the expression CAGE comes about, just the initials of the streets of that area.... Quick question to you, why are you interested? Do you live in Wilmette, are you planning to buy in Wilmette. It is truly a very very nice suburb in many areas of it and true with many elegant older homes and still existing brick paved streets....

If there is any additional information about real estate in Wilmette you would like, let me know....
I know you said other/just looking....... But then we do all start by "just looking".....
Feel free to e-mail me directly to edithsellshomes@gmail.com
I am a long time resident of the North Shore and would love to assist you or anyone you know with your or their search for a new home.
Edith YourRealtort4LIfe! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
edithsellshomes@gmail.com