Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Jaime Baker, Real Estate Pro in Houston, TX

What do you wish you knew before you moved to Austin, TX?

Asked by Jaime Baker, Houston, TX Sun Apr 7, 2013

Answers

5
Where the best places to live are and what each area had to offer.
I wish I had known that some agents troll Trulia posing as buyers to obtain information about the city. I feel that is seriously bad form and unethical.
Most of our main streets only have two names.I am inluding the biggies: Loop One/MOPAC (and its not a loop! In fact there is no actual loop around Austin because TXDOT never got around to making one. Its part of why our traffic is so bad.), Research Blvd./Hwy 183, Hwy 360/Capitol of TX Hwy, Hwy 71/Ben White These are the most common street names that goof visitors up.
I moved here before GPS was invented. Almost every road in Austin has three different names. Even with GPS it can be confusing since it tells you to get on another road, but you actually stay on the road you are on.
How crowded it is. I remember when you could go to dinner on Thursday, Friday or Saturday and not have to wait two hours to be seated. Oh make a reservation and you still have to wait 30-45 minutes for your table.