Home Buying in Mill Valley>Question Details

Dianne Andre…, Real Estate Pro in Mill Valley, CA

What do you think would make a seller want to choose YOU to buy their house instead of another buyer?

Asked by Dianne Andrews, Mill Valley, CA Sun Dec 29, 2013

Answers

7
Besides my charm and personality, if it's meant to happen, it'll happen.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 30, 2013
ps

and sometimes it's an emotional decision, and that sweet, "Oh we love the house, and want to raise our children here" letter can sway things in the buyer's direction!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013
If you're asking agents what they think, ok - although it sounds like you are addressing the buyers out there....but......Putting the obvious reasons aside.............. sometimes, just sometimes, the buyer's AGENT can make the difference, in their buyer "getting" the house........

I have had listing agents tell me, all things being equal, or close to equal, they told their buyer's I'd be the "better" agent to deal with - that they had confidence in having me on the other side of the transaction, and THAT made the difference in their final choice.
I have had similar discussions with my sellers at times, too.
It happens.......

So.....you never know what will give your buyer that slight edge, as it can come down to something other than price and terms!.
You never know..........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013
I think that "reliable, seasoned" agent's recommendation to their seller is a very important aspect, especially when the offers are similar in price and terms, it can make or break a deal!
Flag Sat Feb 1, 2014
I've worked with some very savvy agents and they have asked me to pre-approve all of the financed offers (in addition to the pre-approvals from the lenders the buyers intend to use). And sometimes those financed offers have beat out all cash. In each instance we have performed and closed on time. So, in my experience, I think wise sellers trust their (wise) agents and go with the offer that meets the most of their requirements. Some of these criteria include; price, timing, and believe it or not, emotion. Hard to pass up a rock-solid, above asking offer from a couple with young kids who mirror the sellers themselves from 25 years ago.... For example....

I tell all my buyers never to lose faith. You never know when the seller will recognize your true value, and that above all others. You have to play to win.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Because the seller feels as though they Won!
-
The entire dance is about knowing what each party VALUES!
The choreography is to probe the real reason behind the purchase and sale.
-
In the hands of skilled professionals, even a lower price, or a delayed closing or leaving behind the John Deer can leave everyone knowing they have WON!
-
It is those rogue blasphemic agents who spout the best beat down is a thorough beat down and the only outcome worth pursuing that pollutes the environment with insatiable greed. Sometimes, when you want to be 'CHOSEN' you would be well advised to disguise the greed.
-
Why would a seller Choose? Because they WANT this buyer to move into their home. If you don't think a back story is persuasive, you are a rookie in marketing.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Cash offer with no appraisal contingency...quick close under 30 days!
In a competitive market, Dianne, you're asking - how does a buyer stand out?

Good question.

It's glib to say, "have the best offer," but we all know that sometimes - SOME TIMES, as in, "rarely," - sellers do not take the best offer.

I think that when you hear the stories, the few times that a buyer wins out over a better offer, it's because . . .

-- the terms of the offer were clear. Instead of an escalation clause of $750 over any offer up to $517,350 - they offered $511,000. Straight up.

- the contingencies were easy to understand. It's not subject to inspection but it's subject to neighborhood review, title review, and attorney review? Maybe if you made it subject to inspection, the buyer could clear those other items up during the inspection period!

- the buyers like the house. Dave Barry's book, Homes & Other Black Holes, describes a negotiation where the buyer basically says, "I hate your house and the land it sits on but I'll give you $125,000 for it." I'm not a fan of "love letters," but if the letter is about the property, it can go a long way. "I have always loved wood paneling in the rec room, and look forward to hunting my own deer so I can place its head upon the mantle." Or, something like that.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013