Home Buying in Los Gatos>Question Details

john, Home Buyer in Cupertino, CA

What do you think off 103 BELRIDGE DRIVE, Los Gatos 95032. (Schools, location and list price of 1250000.

Asked by john, Cupertino, CA Tue Jan 14, 2014

Answers

4
Hi John,
I have lived near the Belgatos neighborhood since 1988. My children have attended the schools (Noddin, Union Middle, Leigh HS). Each school has strong parent participation, high scores, and have great programs. You can check the scores on the State website - http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/apireports.asp. Union Elementary is the district for the elementary & middle schools, Campbell Union for the high school. But the school experience is not just about the scores. School is much more than test results. Sports, band, drama, clubs, teachers, friends all comprise the school experience. The high school has a very strong AP program.
This neighborhood is bordering San Jose's Cambrian & Almaden neighborhoods. Because it is in a different school district than downtown LG, it has a different feel. Having walked thru the neighborhood since the late '80's, I can personally say that the homes, mostly built in the '60's have continued to be improved, showing a care & concern for the value & condition of the home. The neighborhood also has a cabana club with pool. Families love the swim team experience!
Then walk up to the top of Harwood on 4th of July and see the firework displays from all around the Valley. Enjoy the hilly trails from Belgatos Park.
It's also easy to get around. Close to Hwy 85, not far from Hwy 17. Downtown Los Gatos is only 10 min away.
Buying a home is a series of decisions and compromise. There is no perfect. If there were, then the price wouldn't be perfect. Without knowing you or your family situation, I can't comment to which area would be best for you. And only you can decide what area works best for you. I encourage you to walk around the neighborhoods and get a "feel" for them. I have worked in Los Gatos since 1983. I love the feel, the people, and community of Los Gatos. Yes, the schools in Los Gatos School District score higher than Union School District, but you have to look at what $1.3 buys in that district versus Union School District versus Cupertino Schools. There is no right or wrong decision here, because they are all great areas with strong schools.
Ultimately, a child's academic success is mostly on the shoulders of the parents and their own efforts. I have a feeling your child(ren) will do very well regardless of the schools, because of your care & concern.
Linda Baker
Alain Pinel Realtors
LBaker@apr.com
408.712.3432
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 14, 2014
Thanks Linda.. This has been most helpful alongwith all the other responses. It seems like this is a very nice area and yes we walked around yesterday and really adored it. My only concern was the appreciation factor. Eg: At Cupertino i could get a decent lot for around 1 million and do a tear down and build another house 400k and have a decent house that will already give me good equity on it (1.6 mln value). For this particular house i am not sure if it will appreciate in the next few years if the market goes flat and i leave it as is. I think Cupertino will probably appreciate faster. Otherwise schools look great here as well. We dont have any commute factors to worry about as we both work from home. Just the home appreciation factor to consider as we are not sure how long we will stay in South Bay Area. It could only be 2-5 yrs which is a big variable.
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014
John,

Linda Baker gave you an excellent answer so I will not duplicate the response. Although the address is Los Gatos it is not Los Gatos Schools. Thus the price is reflective of that. With that said, Belgatos has proven to hold it's value over time, and you will see there is little turn over which speaks volumes to a desirability of a neighborhood.
It is a very nice area. Do you have a real estate agent? That might have a service that they can use to generate a report on that particular area to give you all of the information you want. If not I would be more than happy to recommend a real estate agent for you.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Hi John,

I think this is a great home, priced well by the sellers and their agent, Dennis Mulvihill. I sold one in that area about 6 months ago, that was bigger for $1.25M but the market has been scarce on homes so prices have shot up. That being said, however, I know my clients adore the area, the local parks,, the lifestyle and the schools, so I think a ringing endorsement from a buyer should add more weight to a future homeowners decision to buy.

Talk with your agent about the pros and cons of the area and the home. If you have not yet selected an agent consider using a rebate agent, like me, to truly maximize your home buying power. When my buyers purchased their home in this price range, they received a tax free commission rebate of about $15,000 to use in moving to and refurbishing their new home.

Grad Morioka
Allison James Estates and Homes
Thanks for your reply. I would love to hear opinion from people living in the area. Some more questions:

1) Are the schools considered the best for Los Gatos ? I heard that downtown schools are better.

2) How do we feel this place will appreciate in the next few years as opposed to a much smaller home at Cupertino in similar price range (our next choice) ?
3) Any other factors on this area within Los Gatos as I am not very familiar with the town as I currently rent at Sunnyvale
Flag Tue Jan 14, 2014