Stanley, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

What do you think of the area of Chicago near Holstein Park?

Asked by Stanley, Chicago, IL Tue Aug 11, 2009

I'm new to Chicago, and as I look for somewhere to settle, I want to be within easy walking or transit distance from daily stuff. My wife and I like Bucktown, and we're drawn to the area around Holstein Park. Even though it's a bit further north from, say, Olivia's Market, than we'd like, it seems like a nice, quiet pocket, especially since we have a two-year-old daughter. But it feels like it may be near the edge of recent gentrification. Are homes north of the playground likely to maintain their value?

Answers

3
I love this area! I would say this area will remain pretty stable because it is basically Bucktown, which is very desirable. Plus, it's close to everything.
As you must know, values everywhere have dropped somewhat so you are better off buying in the next year vs having bought in the last 2 years. I can send you recent sales from this area so you can get an idea as to what values are. It is not 'prime' Bucktown, but you would pay more for that. It is not within walking distance from the EL which in Chicago, has a lot of appeal to many people, but everyone has somewhat different priorities.
Chicago is extremely 'neighborhood oriented'. The values of one neighborhood can vary significantly from another neighborhood. You can cross a street.....like Western....and be in a rather different range of values. Since you are new to the city, you probably should not be in a rush to buy. Take some time to get familiar with things and you clearly should plan to keep whatever you buy for at least 5 years based on the current market.

philip
If you make a wise purchse and stay put for a few years you can't go wrong with the location!