Home Buying in Santa Rosa>Question Details

Jeanette Dit…, Real Estate Pro in Santa Rosa, CA

What do you think are the key factors in choosing a real estate agent to work with, if you're planning on purchasing a home?

Asked by Jeanette Ditter, Santa Rosa, CA Tue Oct 22, 2013

Answers

7
1) What kind of car to they drive

2) What's their golf handicap

Um, you all do realize that Jeanette is a agent, right?
1) honesty 2) knowledge 3) the ability to take direction from the client 4) sense of humor
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 23, 2013
I always think it's best if you know the person. The best possible situation is if you are friends with a realtor. The reason I say this is because they know what you want. One of the biggest things for me is that the realtor knows what I want. http://www.lorireinalda.com/team.php
Good morning Jeanette! Nice to hear from you, it has been a long time. Jeanette, you will find a thousand and one answers to your question but the bottom line is not the Realtor's perspective it is their clients. An agent's clients will tell you everything you need to know about how they were treated as a home buyer and a human being. If you are shopping for a good Realtor I would highly recommend you ask for their referrals and or read their client's testimonials. Performance always speaks louder than words.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Robert Miller, Premier Realty Associates, Santa Rosa, 707-53-1570
Web: http://www.santarosapropertysearch.com
Do they buy lunch?
After that, it's all EASY!
-
There just might be other things that will prove benefical.
Does the agent ask probing, intelligent questions. Very often, the important questions the require an answer will make you uncomfortable. You need to decide, what serves you best, being comfortable or you and your agent being on the same page sharing the right goals?
-
What is realistic? Every buyer is 'looking for a deal' but what they really mean is. "Make me an offer I can't refuse!" There are no offers a buyer can't refuse. Does your agent have the courage to respect you by protecting your time or willl they allow you to spend time until your reality light comes on. The greatest demonstrationof disrespect is wasting another irreplaceble TIME.
-
Critical mass! No, I don't refer to a BMI of 28, but I do refer to a presense in the area market that includes a co-ordinated group of assoicates, a group of community associates, a group of area associates and regional connnections. First Look options will exploit these affiliations to find the home you want that is hidden from public view.
-
Finally, who will you be working with? The agent or some body learning the business and hoping to make a 'go of it' in real estate. To often a buyer gets plugged into a system of Chaos from which emminates calls from unknow folks who are fulling unknown roles and performing unknow tasks for purposes unknow to you. When the phone rings you can't be sure who you talking to or if they are even on your team! This becomes critically important when you finally make a purchase offer. At that point all 100 wheels on the wagon start to turn. Then chaos reigns.
-
There you have it. Noting about the number if letters folling their name. Nothing about the number of sales completed last year. Nothing about the brand or even the brokerage. Just you and the agent who wants to protect your interests. Don't be distracted by the smoke and mirrors. Choose the professional who treats you like an adult, asks the probing questions and respects your time.
A little time at Panera Bread isn't too bad either.
Hi Jeanette! Choose a realtor who knows the market you're interested in, who is responsive (important because homes sometimes move really fast!), someone who can advise you about making and negotiating an offer, and someone you feel comfortable working with. Feel free to give me a call at 707-889-6017 Jeanette!
Thank you for the great question! I think there are a lot of things to consider and people should think more about it in advance like you are, rather than what they often do, which is try to search by themselves (as they often feel that agents are going to be too pushy or rush them), but then end up at the last minute trying to find someone to put an offer on a house, often too late, after finding out there have been multiple offers on the house already! I recommend that you seek out some agents that you feel comfortable talking with, ones that seem happy to carefully answer your questions, and really seem to hear what your aims are. The best places to find agents are often at Open Houses, here on websites like Trulia, and referrals of satisfied friends; although what makes your friends happy isn't always what will make you happy! Things to watch for.... agents that answer their emails, phones and communicate clearly, agents that show you what to watch for when looking at homes and have good suggestions in analyzing comparisons and benefits of different properties. Needless to say I would be happy to offer more advice, feel free to contact me for more information. Best,
Terry Bell, Realtor, CPS Real Estate Santa Rosa, CA 707-292-5712