Home Buying in Watertown>Question Details

Neo, Home Buyer in Cambridge, MA

What do you think about Repton Place in watertown. I am thinking of buying a 2br, 2ba condo (983 sf) there

Asked by Neo, Cambridge, MA Sun May 11, 2008

for 335k. Is that a fair price? Thanks.

Answers

5
Louis King Real Estate’s answer
I am interested in your opinions on all three questions and whether you think it's a good long term investment at this place.
_________________________________________________________________________

In addition to the fact that you may be competing with 100 new units when you sell yours, the other issue is the association.

An old established condo association has a management track record you can look at. "The Village" in Watertown for example has been around since the 1970s. It's well managed. The price per sq. foot is less than Repton Pl. However, "The Village" units typically have 1 bath and older fixtures.

The location of Repton Place on Pleasant St. is or was commercial. Even now, it's a busy street. Have you considered what the traffic will be like on Pleasant St. once Repton is fully occuppied? Have you compared Repton with other high rise condos like 50 Watertown St. or 131-151 Coolidge Ave.?

50 Watertown St. has quick access to the Mass Pike, close to the park along the Charles River, and close to the express bus to Boston. The Coolidge Ave. condos are close to Cambridge and the ones facing Boston have that great view.

However, Repton is new construction. The others are not.
I am interested in your opinions on all three questions and whether you think it's a good long term investment at this place. They are going to build another building with more than 100 units, and I am a little worried about whether this will make it harder for me to sell mine in a few years. Thanks.
Repton Place is a new construction condominium complex on Pleasant St. in Watertown. Are you asking an opinion of the location within Watertown, are you asking if Repton Place is a good value per square foot compared to other condominiums in Watertown or are you asking if Repton Place is a good value for new construction?

If you've decided you like Repton Place, a price of $335 is a great price for Repton Place. I don't believe any condo like yours has sold there under $349,000.
The MLS shows the cheapest 2 bedroom sold for $349,900 (the mls may not have all the sold data) and that unit was 979 square feet which is a price per square foot of $357. Seems the other 2 bedrooms that have sold were over 1000 square feet (various sizes) at prices between $360,000-365,000, making the price per square feet in the range of $310-355. This tells me your offer price isn't way off as it would be $340/sqre foot. I say give it it try but expect them to counter close to that $349,900 sold price. If you can get close to your offer price I think you would have a great deal on your hands.

The development overall seems nice and is in a good location - near restaurants, etc.

Web Reference: http://www.territoryre.com
I took a client of mine at Repton Place and we saw all the units available. It is a beautiful place and if you have a buyer's agent, you will be able to get an even better price. In fact, you could get a fabulous deal.
I will be happy to help you if you need to!
Veronique Mendelson
617-477-5079