Home Buying in Warm Springs>Question Details

Kanwal Safdar, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

What do you think about KB Homes construction and quality? especially in Fremont, CA

Asked by Kanwal Safdar, Fremont, CA Sat Jul 12, 2008

We're considering buying an as yet unbuilt town home in the Loredo at Montebello KB Homes project in Fremont. Comments on KB Homes quality and buying an unseen house are appreciated.

Answers

12
We purchased a new KB Home in Northern California and the experience has been a real nightmare. We were told by KB Home "these are some of the best homes we've ever built". We also found out that KB had a history of poor home building in our city and seems that they resolved past problems and defects just so it could build again in our city. KB Home then promised our city, top notch homebuilding and first rate customer service. With our experience the construction quality is obviously poor and warranty is practically useless. We even tried working our way up to KB Home Northern California's District VP and have contacted KB Homes corporate office. Please decide for yourself, visit our website http://www.kbhomeproblems.com to see if you agree with KB Home that this is top notch homebuilding and first rate customer service.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
this is a useless comment likely from a KB competitor, please give at least ONE example of said poor quality
Flag Thu Aug 7, 2014
Be careful - from a volume point of view KB is a winner, but their quality suffers. The best quality you will find with Toll or Standard pacific . Shapell is another great name. Robson is ok, its improving a lot , however KB tries to stuff in many things into a small space .. the condo town home is an example .. others are also doing it now .. KB quality suffers , but it is hugely depending on the local contractor they place orders with. I have seen some who specifically avoid KB and some don't care. I have personally avoided KB, though i am not sure why.
If you do a web search for TheKBHome or go to http://TheKBHome.com you'll see why I do NOT recommend buying/building with KB Homes. We have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!!
I don't know when you are looking to move, but there are a couple townhomes that are about 4 years old next door to the KB complex that are ready to move in now and overlook the main central park area of the complex. They have also been up for a few years so you don't need to wonder if anything is going to fail from the new construction. One of the units was a former model and has all the upgrades. The price is more competetive then KB as well. I've posted the link to the unit which has photos and a virtual tour that you can view.

Good luck in your home searching.
i looked at the KB homes and the Robson homes next door, to my untrained eye, I think the Robson homes look a lot nicer and even the un-upgraded home was actually really nice with Corian counters included--the Robson people are also openly saying that upgrades are negotiable and I think people are getting $25k+ in upgrades thrown in. I am considering buying one of them now, but just a bit scared by market conditions.

Did you like the KB homes better?
I would be interested in your opinion

M
Hi Kanwal,

I have worked with several home builders and represented many clients to purchase homes with KB, Centex, Toll Brothers, Standard Pacific just to name a few. When people move into a new development, there are always some issues that come up and most of the builders are pretty good about resolving those issues pretty quickly, with KB being one of them.

I would like to advice all buyers to get a property inspection done in the last stages of construction so that if anything is found out that is not done correctly, it can be fixed before everything is closed up in the house.

I recently sold a Standard Pacific home and my client is going to get an inspection done in September since the closing is in October.

Have you registered in the Sales office? If not, I would be happy to help you and can ngotiate the price with the builder. The builder will be paying the commission so it won't cost you anything to have a realtor represent you. I would also like to show you the comparables to make sure the price you pay is justified.

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
40083 Mission Blvd
Fremont, Ca. 94539
510-279-9580
If you have an inspection done in the last phase, issues such as no hurricane straps, lack of supports won't be discovered until to late. See my site for news footage on KB Home, which has not upheld their warranty agreement with me, nor build the house to code. BUYER BEWARE! http://www.kbhomedisaster.com
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013
Hello Kanwal,

I have sold KB homes at several locations in my Real Estate Carrier of 17 years.
There are builders whose construction qualities are better than KB, but at the same time the price difference is huge. So, for the price you pay for a brand new home, in the location you want, in my opinion is a good deal when you buy a KB home.

I do know with my experiences of my clients, who bought KB homes, KB will follow up and
they stand by their warranty. One of my Clients had a problem with roof, they were the second owner of the property, KB still paid for the correction of the roof issue even though the property was 7 years young (old)

I helped many clients buy and sell KB homes in different cities. If you wish to take an
Advantage of an expert in Real Estate go ahead and call me at 510-381-2105
or e-mail me at CharoBhatt@gmail.com

I will be happy to help you negotiate the price and terms with KB

Best luck to you,

Charo Bhatt
Web Reference: http://www.HomesByCharo.com
k, b houses are crap, using cheap labor, they put these houses up as fast as they can and are usually very sloppy

just my opinion
Kanwal:

As a Realtor I see a lot of homes – many of them built by KB Homes. Additionally, I’m also a licensed general contractor who was, until very recently, a partner in a construction firm specializing in “high-end” construction. Bottom line: I completely understand the construction side of housing and know quality when I see it.

KB Homes is one of the preeminent builders in the United States and has a sound reputation for quality. Like all national builders, they’ve had issues in the past and have worked extensively to upgrade their product and customer service. They are very quality conscious and work hard to ensure that their homebuyers are completely satisfied both with the product AND the experience of buying a new home. See the link below.

http://kbhome.com/Promo~PromoID~2210.aspx

When buying a new home, carefully examine the quality of the models. The same people who built the models will be building your home – the only differences should be the actual options and upgrades you select for the finished surfaces. Most new home builders encourage you to “walk-the-site” with a company representative while your new home is being built. They facilitate “hard-hat” tours so that you can see every aspect of your home as it is being built. They want you to see the quality from the inside out.

Most large builders rely on local trades to build their homes to their exacting specifications. The homes are only as good as the local pool of trades-persons. It is not unusual for some larger trade firms that specialize in tract-home building to actually provide their services to more than one builder in a given geographical area at a time. In other words, the same group of trades people can be used to build new homes in any specific area regardless of the name of the builder. The quality of the trades pool in the Fremont, California area is very good.

It is very important, when buying a new home, that you take the time to understand the warranties provided by the builder for your home. Many buyers think they will be getting a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty that covers every aspect of their new home for ten years. That is simply not true. Warranties typically have 1-year, 3-year and 10-year terms – take as long as you need to read and understand what is included in each of these time specific warranties.

Prior to occupancy in your new home, you perform a final walkthrough and orientation with the builder. This is when you examine your home carefully to ensure that everything is as it should be. I’ve had the privilege of doing the final walk-through with clients who have used my services to purchase a new home – I bring a set of “professional” eyes to the equation and have been able to point out items that needed attention. Most builders will allow me to accompany the new home buyers on this walkthrough.

And make sure you use a Realtor to buy a new home – especially one that has helped other buyers through the same process. They know how the process works and can often save you a lot of money or negotiate better terms or upgrades. Remember to take your Realtor with you on your first visit.
Web Reference: http://www.carlmedford.com
Hello Kanwal,
I haven't negotiated on a KB homes yet but seen there work here in the bay area which includes the one in Fremont and it is nice. I don't think they would try jeopardize the quality of there work considering they are a big construction/builder company... They do guarantee there work. But always make sure have your agent help you with the contract....ASK question if your unsure of the wording in a contract... specially some of the fine prints...
Kanwal,

I'm sure the homes can very, but I can tell you from being in my nephew's home in Arizona that their KB Home was absolutely beautiful and seemed to be well-built. My nephew's wife worked for KB for years and they believed in the quality enough to raise their family in a KB Home. You should be able to get a great deal on a new build at this point.
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
Kanwal, be very careful when looking at the floorplans- ask for the blueprint, and take measurements. While builders have a disclaimer that dimensions can vary slightly, having their actual "vision" is imperitive. See if they have this product up elsewhere- it's worth the trip. My assessment of KB in Denver was that they offer lots of square footage for the buck, but the finish work is less than what you might find with a builder more focused on details. They are value-focused, which is great if it's square footage over detail that you seek.
It's also possible that KB in your area differs, so ask to see the specifications (it's a long list of all standard items included in the home- more comprehensive than a brochure, and what the builders on site use to order materials, etc.)- that should give you a good feel as to what to expect. The specifications include plumbing fixtures, insulation, drywall application, windows, baseboards, doors, etc.- well worth asking for. While it's unlikely that you'll be permitted to take the specs with you, the sales rep should be willing to sit down with you and go over each item.
Web Reference: http://optionsrealty.com