Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Tara, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

What do you think about Highlands Ranch?

Asked by Tara, Denver, CO Sat Apr 18, 2009

Just wondering. Initially we were considering Stapleton, but now we've seen what we can get for our money in Highlands Ranch and are leaning that way. We are looking to stay under 300k. Its a little farther than we would have wanted to be from the city, but it seems like a great community with great schools and amenities. Just wondering what other people think, people that live there or real estate people.

Answers

10
I moved from Highlands Ranch about three years ago, after raising my two sons (now both grown and gone) and think that it is a great place to raise a family. I believe strongly in Douglas County Schools (one of the state's best) and the community feel A variety of reasons why we moved a few years back, but still feel that it is one of the best places to raise a family in the Denver metro. I also agree that Stapleton is a great choice but your assessment of value in Highlands Ranch is really right on the mark. I am a Denver native and still love (and work in) several neighborhoods within the city limits, Stapleton and Lowry for instance, but feel that for those looking for better value and the ability to get a great house in your price range, Highlands Ranch is a very good choice.
Best of luck in your search.
Chuck Strauss
Keller Williams DTC
720-318-7598
CStrauss@kw.com
You get a lot more bang for your buck, however, you are outside the cultural center which is further north in Denver!
Yes, I agree with the other brokers - better value n Highlands Ranch. And, recently published in the Denver Post - a much lower crime rate......
Tara,
It sounds to me like you are looking for a property that will give you the most bang for your buck. Although Stapleton has some great deals on properties...the taxes often catch homeowners off guard. Recently I had a friend who was living in Littleton Colorado. He was leasing his home and recently moved out...but he mentioned the owner might be looking to sell the property.
The place is a Ranch style with finished basement. Large 3 Bedroom with wonderful backyard in an established neighborhood. Situated close to the foothills, so you have the beautiful views...but also just 7 minutes from the light rail stop at Aspen Grove. I don't have exact s/f on the property, but if your interested...give me a call and I will pull the data for you.
Click on this link to read a write-up about Littleton and take a look at the video.
Here's a good website to learn more about Highlands Ranch:
Hi Tara,

I'm a fellow homebuyer. While I haven't looked at all in Highlands Ranch (we're more urbanites), I used to work in the area and travel in the area quite a bit. My impression is that it's nice, but there's a lot of suburban sprawl. I wonder if it has held its value the way other, more established neighborhoods have. (Any realtors feel free to chime in! :) ) That said, some of the views are nice and I'm sure you do get more for your money.
Hi Tara,

I can't stand Highlands Ranch! I moved my family there in 1999 and we built a new home in Westridge-- we loved it, it worked well for us, and we were impressed with what we could get for our money. It turns out that the schools were awesome, and almost all new. The retail amenities have grown up and expanded very well. It's super convenient and clean.

Too clean in fact. I was landscaping a few years ago and ended up with a wheel barrel full of dirt after the project. I really had no idea where to put a wheel barrel full of dirt. I seriously considered putting it out with the trash!

Also, no rocks! You will have to buy any rocks, you want on your lawn.

We ended up moving out to a horse ranch in the mountains west of Denver-- Conifer a few years back. After a weekend of no electricity and plowing my 700' driveway for literally 8 hours this weekend (picture 30" of snow on April 18th) we do have fond memories of how easy living in Highlands Ranch is. In fact, after this weekend I'm sure my wife is considering kicking our tenants out and moving back to our house there. I hope her plans include me...

Highlands Ranch is frequently the best option for a lot of home buyers. If you want unbiased, experienced home buying assistance, give me a try. You can always fire me if you don't think I will do anything to help you get the best price on the best home for your wants, needs and budget--wherever it is.

By the way, I bet I've helped a hundred or so families move to Highlands Ranch!

Bob Maiocco
broker associate
Keller Williams DTC
(720)273-4262 (iPhone)
http://www.DenversRealEstateNews.com my blog
http://www.BlueRoof.com arguably the best search site in America
Hi Tara,

Highlands Ranch is such a huge area of homes, businesses, and people that you have a great deal of choices. The schools are good, and right now you will be able to find a lot of home for the money. Plus with mortgage rates being this low, the new $8,000 Federal Tax Credit available to first time homebuyers and, if you qualify and want to go through the program the CHFA also has down payment assistance that may be available to you as well, this is a very good time to purchase a home.

To see the full range of homes available for sale, you can check out the community description and the houses for sale at the link below.

thanks,

Stuart
WE LOVE it here, Work here, live here, play here. Highlands Ranch is Great. Check out this link.
http://www.kennarealestate.com/highlands-ranch.php
Hi Tara,

I am a Realtor who also lives in Highlands Ranch and here is my personal perspective: Highlands Ranch offers and amazing sense of community, is a fabulous place to raise children, and has excellent schools. I have lived in Highlands Ranch for almost 10 years and have raised my two boys, presently ages 12 and 17 here. The boys are receiving a fabulous education, have easy access to our recreation centers, and take advantage of the bus center at the Highlands Ranch Town Center that takes them to the light rail at the Mineral Station so they can buzz downtown to Elitch Gardens, or shopping and dining on the 16TH street mall. See my Highlands Ranch video at http://www.denverrelocationbroker.com/neighborhoods/highland… to get an idea of the area.

Stapleton is another amazing community and offers similar amenities to Highlands Ranch. Check out the Stapleton video on my site at http://www.denverrelocationbroker.com/neighborhoods/stapleton to get a closer look. My suggestion is to spend time, preferably when school gets out for the day and on the weekends to get an idea of the different pulse of each neighborhood. Schedule a visit at the schools of interest and audit the classrooms. Visit the recreation centers at both communities to see what the best fit for your needs is. All in all, both communities afford amazing opportunities for families, so you really can’t go wrong with either area.

Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Michelle A. Potter
Broker Associate, Prestige Real Estate Group, LLC.
http://www.DenverRelocationBroker.Com
http://www.MovedDenver.Com
Mobile: 303-489-4035