Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Trulia Denver, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

What do you need to know when buying a home with a septic tank for the first time?

Asked by Trulia Denver, Denver, CO Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

10
Hi...the answers below are correct - the septic system should be inspected, and there may be county requirements to be satisfied. If you're not already working with a Realtor, I suggest you use a Certified Mountain Area Specialist (CMAS), which is a local designation dealing with some of these type of issues in the mountain communities west of Denver. Give me a call and I'd love to help!
These are great answers, yet no one has mentioned having the tank emptied as part of the inspection. I would add it to my to do list.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 4, 2013
Depending on the County, the seller is required to supply a Use Permit. Often getting this Use permit requires seller to have Septic Inspection. I would check the county site for rules, regulations, listed Inspectors, and expceptions to the Use Permit rule. If you have any more questions walking through the process, I am happy to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
Other than periodic cleaning/pumping based on usage, you need to knnow if it is sized properly for the number of bedrooms and residents, and know what you can and cannot put into the system; eg. specific soaps and cleanser residues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
I found a good explanation of septic tanks which I just added to my web site. You can read about them and see diagrams with this link. http://www.denverrealestateoffice.com/2013/02/how-does-a-sep… I hope this helps :)

And I agree with Brenda... always get the system checked out to make sure that is functioning properly, is clean, and can handle the waste from the residence.

Rick Janson
Denver Lifestyleâ„¢ Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
When buying a home with a septic system, it is always important to have the system inspected. If at all possible, find out what company has been servicing the system and then obtain the service records to make sure it has been properly serviced, this is especially important for an older system.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 21, 2013
Hire a good septic inspector in your area
You should always have a home inspection done to any home you purchase. I would not rely on just home inspector with a septic tank issue. Getting someone who specializes in sewer and septic issues would be the best idea.

Lake Bishop
720-277-9219
Lake@LakeBishop.com
You must find a good Inspector. They will tell you everything you need to know, and how to maintain it too. I can give you a couple of inspectors with septic tank knowledge, just let me know. Yoli @ 303.748.6559
You need to have it inspected! There are companies that just do inspections of the systems. It is the buyers responsibility to investigate. Ask for documentation from the seller of servicing done on the system as well. Best of luck with your purchase and if you need further help just let me know as I'm here to help!

Bill Pearson GRI, SRES |"Your Denver Realtor For Life"
ERA Herman Group Real Estate| 201 Columbine Street| Suite 301| Denver CO 80206
720-329-1470 |Bill@DenverRealtorForLife.com
5280 Magazine FIVE STAR Real Estate Professional – 2010, 2011, 2012