Home Buying in Hermosa Beach>Question Details

Jenny Powers, Real Estate Pro in Hermosa Beach, CA

What do you look for when choosing a realtor?

Asked by Jenny Powers, Hermosa Beach, CA Tue Aug 2, 2011

Answers

8
Finding a good realtor is finding someone that you feel comfortable with first. Second you want someone that will take the time and have the knowledge to help you understand the process of buying or selling a home and can answer your questions with useful information.
If the agent does not know all the answers the agent should at least find out the answer and get back to you.
Often new agents are not so bad. Sure they lack experience but they make up for it by giving you their full attention
Jenny, You know the answer to this question already.
Hello Jenny,
Amy Hoak of Marketwatch this week offered some tips for choosing a Realtor.
Here is that link: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/go-beyond-referrals-to-find…

There are some interesting things she had to say. The phone response test is rather silly. What if I'm writing a contract? When I'm concentrating on something as important as helping a buyer or seller avoid costly problems, I need that time to be alone with that contact.

The article also mentions Trulia's new feature that allows consumers to participate in referrals using social networks.

Hope this is helpful.

SuZ
PML of Longmont, CO
Buyers & sellers have specific requirements when picking a realtor as do lenders.

As a lender we choose who we work with as well. Most lenders go after their own buyers in addition to building referral relationships and when we have a Pre-Approved buyer that needs an agent we have to have someone we can refer them to that we can trust.

So what do we look for? It goes without saying that a good agent should have an intimate knowledge of the market(s) the buyer is interested in, strong negotiating skills, tech-savvy, good sense of humor and can make the client comfortable with the process to name a few things.

There are a lot of agents out there with with those attributes but the problem is usually lies with the most mundane of tasks.

There are plenty of agents that have a great mind for real estate but can be terrible at returning calls/emails, following up with a prospect/buyer and just communicating in general. I know that from experience and just asking around. Same goes with lenders. There are plenty of talented lenders out there but are terrible at the basics like communicating good or bad news quickly, pre-approvals, following up, etc.

I am new to the Northern Virginia market and the agents I have referred clients to have all had issues with what I listed above so it can be frustrating. It's a little daunting starting all over again and looking for new agents to work with but what the heck. I like a challenge.
john,

My comments are completely authentic and you call for a deletion of said comments? Your behavior and attitude lends profound credibility to my comments below. Do you think that your recent comments toward me create a positive impression within a buyers mind regarding real estate agents?
Jenny this Dan character has been posting rather vehement comments on a lot of questions with little if nothing worthwhile to contribute and often quite insulting. Never be afraid to use the delete prompt or report a concern.

Your question is a very valid one. I look for punctuality, professionalism, knowledge, character, integrity and personality.
A pulse.

Seriously, the most important factor for me is that s/he is flexible. S/he also has to be open. I don't care as much about what s/he knows, because I can help to train him/her to do what I need him/her to do if necessary.
Do exactly what you say you are going to do.

Realtors refuse to do this one thing on a consistent basis. Ergo I will not have realtors involved.
In my experience, realtors are the most unprofessional society of folk I have ever encountered. Sure there are few exceptions. Life is too short to allow un - knowledgeable and unprofessional people access to my deals.

I do not allow myself to be involved in any deals that require realtors. Just me, the seller, and our attorney's.

The internet gives me access to all the info realtors have so no value added. In fact, my attorney provides more inside info than anyone.