Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Joe Iuculano, Real Estate Pro in Scottsdale, AZ

What do you look for in a Realtor?

Asked by Joe Iuculano, Scottsdale, AZ Fri Jun 14, 2013

Hi Everyone,

Here's a question I get asked every so often:

"What's the most important quality I should look for in a REALTOR®?"

You might get asked that question yourself every so often -- by a friend, work colleague or family member looking for real estate help.

Here's my answer…

There are a lot of qualities you want in a real estate professional:

· A friendly, caring attitude.

· Strong sales, marketing and negotiation skills.

· A track record of satisfied customers.

· An organized approached to taking care of all the details.

· A network of professionals. (Lawyers, contractors, movers, etc.)

This list goes on and on. But if I were to choose one it would be this: Listening.

A good REALTOR® really listens to the client's concerns and wishes. Throughout the years I realized it takes a TEAM to get things done properly to ensure our clients everything they want and to make sure the entire process of buying/sellig goes smoothly. You're more than welcome to visit http://www.InvestInArizonaHomes.com which will give you access to search the MLS at your convenience, or get the latest news or real estate updates! You can always give us a quick call or stop by our office.
You've received a ton of great advice on this thread, Joe. Our brokerage created a magazine and we wrote an article specifically targeted at the question you present--I hope this helps you out.

Check out the article on page 3
Check Scottsdalerealestate.com or azgolfhomes.com for the best in luxury marketing.
Hi Joe

Can the Realtor sell it for the best price with the least inconvenience

and can a Realtor help me get the Best Buy, in an excellent location.

Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
Joe Luculano

Dear Joe:

These are the features that I believe are important: http://www.arizonahomesland.com/servicesprovidedbuyers.html

Call me with any questions. I would be pleased to help you.

Jeffrey Masich, Realtor, GRI, MBA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Arizona homes and land for purchase or sale
Please go to my website: CynthiaBurnsRealty.com for answers to this question and more....
Are you looking for an agent to help you buy or sell your home? You want an agent that is experienced, professional, and assertive. These qualities will ensure that the knowledge of the real estate market will help your in negotiating contracts on your behalf. How soon are you planning to dip your toe in the real estate waters?
A full time active Realtor with a proven success rate. There are many agents that work part time, I have nothing against that personally. My sense is I would like someone that is 100% engaged in the process of helping people buy and sell homes.
Hi Joe

Since you are going to be trusting a REALTOR with perhaps the single largest sale or purchase of your life I would work with someone who you trust, feel comfortable with and believe has your best interest at heart. There are over 30,000 agents in The State of Arizona. All of us can list and sell homes, but there are great differences in experience, work style, ethics, negotiation skills and many other important factors. The REALTOR you choose to do business with will spend a lot of time with you and on your behalf and your best interest should be their number one concern.

For example - if you are buying a home and it turns out to have a bad inspection, a great REALTOR will tell you to cancel and find something better. Others might try to convince you that those issues are minor and that you should close the transaction. In the case of selling a home, a great REALTOR will help you understand that there are some repairs you may need to do in order to close your sale and get top dollar where as others may try to get you to list for a lower price for a quick sale. It all comes back to you and your needs. You may want an as-is quick sale and not to be bothered with repairs or you may be willing to make some repairs to maximize your return. A great REALTOR will discuss with you and determine a plan of action for your needs.

I hope this helps. If you are looking for an agent - let me throw my hat in the ring with the rest of the Trulia gang. Many great agents giving advice and answers on here. I hope you find one to help you with your real estate needs.

Howard Rudin
TOP 1% in Sales
Joe, you already have lots of good advice; go interview 3 REALTORS® in your area and see who feels right to you. How do you pick which 3 you want to interview? You've probably noticed that many REALTORS® have initials after their names. These are known as "designations" and they indicate that the individual has had additional education beyond the basic licensing exam, and has passed an additional written exam (or exams).

The most prestigious nationally-recognized designation in the real estate profession is the GRI (Graduate, REALTOR® Institute). Some have compared it to the CPA designation for accountants, because it involves taking 90 hours of classroom education on a wide variety of real estate subjects, plus passing three (3) comprehensive written examinations.

Real estate is complicated. If the REALTOR® you interview hasn't invested the time and effort to earn the GRI, ask him/her why not, and see if you agree with the answer.

Leonard Dunikoski, GRI
REALTOR® Associate
Diane Turton Realtors – Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760
(732) 239-0739 (cell) (732) 530-6686 (office)
on Trulia, look at their reviews. Also ask family & friends.
If I wasn't a Realtor and needed one they would have to satisfy the many questions I'd have to make me comfortable they'd meet my goals with character and integrity. I'm highly principled and look for same. As a Realtor working with another Realtor I prefer working with those that are responsive and learning based as well as experienced and highly principled as well. There aren't too many that I couldn't work with on the job because its my role to be adaptable and get to the goal of my clients. Since every person is different I seek ability to adapt as well. One who removes limiting beliefs and treats clients well. They have to be consultative vs just sales-y. I could go on and it's a list for both working with and working for me or for that I'd like to see. If you are looking to work with a company that offers this inquire!
The most important thing you should look for in are realtor or a real estate transaction is "A happy ending", which is my mottto.
Hi Joe
I would suggest that you interview a few different agents and ask as many questions as possible and list all of your concerns. Just make sure that you feel comfortable and confident in the agent you choose. Ask for recommendations and what there plan of attack is.

I suggest to potential clients to interview their agents prior to hiring them. You may want to ask for written referrals.

Also, Tools available and a plan to have a successful close.

In this market it can take several offers to purchase a home. If you want to buy or sell be confident your agent has a plan to achieve a successful sale.

Sincerely, Lucinda Tkach
It's really pretty basic, like looking into the mirror... I look for someone like myself.

I look for honesty, ethics, knowledge, and I want to work with a person who is professional and easy to relate to - where my needs, preferences are the priority. I want to know that the Realtor is looking out for me and what is in my best interest at all times
and then executes.

So ask yourself what characteristics are most important to you?
In looking for a Realtor, there are many characteristics that are important. The most important one, however, is how comfortable do YOU feel with them? If you are a bottom line, by the numbers type of person, then that's probably the type of Realtor you are looking for. However, if you are a newer buyer or seller, then you probably want a Realtor with a bit more patience who is comfortable explaining the process and will walk you through it all the way. Is the Realtor willing and comfortable communicating with you in your preferred method (phone calls instead of emails, or are you a texter). In short, if you are planning on working with someone who is going to help you buy or sell something that is as expensive as a home, spend some time with them before deciding to work with them. I hope this helps.
A Realtor that is as ethical and hardworking as I feel we have be in our profession. Whether I am the selling agent or the buying agent, we both need to be able to work professionally and accurately and on a timely manner. If this means until late hours on a Saturday night, then it needs to be done. A Realtor willing to work weekends. This is a profession that most business is done on weekends. One that answers their phone and does not have a message to all calls with the reply, "I respond quicker to text". This is if not the biggest purchase a person makes in their life. I know I would want a Realtor that was working for my best interest.
Realtor who answers phone calls and responds to emails on time. Get the best property at the best value possible for the buyer client and negotiate top price for the seller client. Hard work, determination by coordinating with all parties involved to get the transaction going smoothly to the closing.
HONESTY AND KNOWLEDGE...Not afraid to say...I don't know but give me a few hours and I will find an answer! GREAT COMMUNICATOR and extremeely customer oriented:)
the same thing you would look for in any professional.