Home Buying in Madison>Question Details

Michelle Hall, Real Estate Pro in Madison, WI

What do buyers looking to build wanting most in their homes these days? Sq. feet? Open floor plan? Split bedroom design? 2 story? Ranch? Other ideas?

Asked by Michelle Hall, Madison, WI Sat Feb 13, 2010

Answers

6
Joan, it would require that the dishwasher be above countertop level to be raised like that. If you had a wall oven why not a wall dishwasher? Both would be nice as you do not have to bend over every time you use them.

You just have to build a box strong enough to support the machine and then drag it up on a ramp. Aesthetically, maybe not so pretty. But functionally, it would be great.
Thank you for your clarification. My response is only regarding new construction, as you asked. In my area, there is constuction over $1M, which is totally custom. The price range for around $700k is more traditional, with a formal living, formal dining, den, large high end kitchen flowing into morning room & family room, multiple bedrooms & bathrooms, & sometimes with the basement/lower level finished. In the middle, $300k - $600k, is a mixture, with most in cluster homes & condos with high-end amenities. In the $200k-$300 range one can can choose from several models, with smaller bedrooms & bathrooms, maybe a den, but usually with a large great room with a kitchen that is open, & morning room for all meals. In this range, there is usually 2.5 baths, a 1st floor laundry & an unfinished basement. New ranches tend to be clusters or condos.
Dan,

I'm curious: I have my washer and dryer on pedestals. Is there such a thing for dishwashers? How would that integrate into a kitchen? Wouldn't it leave the dishwasher above counter level?
Have you seen this?
I want a single story for living purposes. A good usable cellar. Main bedroom, kitchen, bath, washer/dryer all on one level. 3 bedroom but not bigger than 28x48.

A daylight basement is a real plus. The bigger the more work and more expensive upkeep gets.

Not to mention taxes, low taxes are a big plus. I could easily choose one town over another based solely on taxes with almost identical houses.

I would like a reasonably open floor plan. Being able to get around without bumping into things is a must. I could be bumping into those same things for 50 years and that would not be acceptable.

No permanent barrier in the kitchen when I go from one side to another. You might refer to it as a bad island.

Energy efficient including a relatively new furnace and a/c. R-22 units cost to much to refill. If it costs to much to heat or cool it is out of the running. Cheap to buy. Nothing fancy, just a basic house with all kind of out-dates. Updates cost to much money for nothing. Not to mention, I do not like stainless and granite.

One last thin, almost no houses have it. Washer, dryer, and dishwasher all above ground level. Do not make me bend over to put things in and out.
Any price range. Are people building smaller or larger? What are the trends? Or say, For the price range of $250K, what are the trends?
$300K up?
Anyone building smaller like $200K?
It would help if you give a price range or ranges for this question.