Home Buying in Long Grove>Question Details

Needahouse, Home Buyer in 60047

What do agents covering Long Grove think about Long Meadow Farms?

Asked by Needahouse, 60047 Wed Apr 13, 2011

Can it be like Prarie Trails or is it the next Ravenna?

There are a lot of lots for sale and no real movement or new construction.

Is this just the economy, or is there something else wrong with this subdivision?

Answers

12
I live in Prairie Trails and just purchased a lot in Long Meadow Farms. I did a lot of research and I discovered quite a few interesting facts:

1. Long Meadow Farms is unincorporated Long Grove which means much lower taxes and less restrictions than in Prairie Trails. I could not build a home with a walk-out basement in Prairie Trails but I can in Long Meadow Farms. This was a big deal for me.

2. Long Meadow Farms is in the best school districts in the area. They are the same as Prairie Trails - District 96 elementary and 125 (Stevenson) high school. Ravenna is in one of the worst elementary school districts - (Diamond Lake). I would never send my kids to Diamond Lake elementary.

3. I met with the developer and asked the same question you did about the lack of movement. The developer has been building in the Long Grove area for 30 years. From what I could tell, they are very secure financially and said that they had no reason to sell lots at fire sale prices. I think that is why there is so little activity. I can tell you that I made a reasonable (but low) offer and we came to an agreement on the price. I think I got a steal - even in this economy for a walk-out lot on the pond.

4. The lack of building is definitely due to the economy. I am a perfect example of that. I paid cash for my lot but I am having a very, very difficult time getting a construction loan. I have a very nice income and excellent credit but the rates I am being quoted are absurd. I think most people are in the same boat.

5. The Rt. 53 extension will not happen in our lifetime. I did a tremendous amount of research on this. I live in the back of Prairie Trails and I do not think being 500ft. closer to an extension that has been talked about for 30 years makes any difference. There is no funding for 53, they do not even own the land and most of the extension would be cutting through wetlands which would never happen in this environmentally friendly climate we live in.

6. I am not sure what John Walin is talking about. The lure of Long Grove is the rural character. Almost all lots in Long Grove are one acre or more. Everyone I know loves Long Grove because of the more rural feel. Also the development that Kathy is talking about is not comparable to Long Meadow Farms. These are all custom home sites, not semi custom homes on small lots like Coventry Creek.

7. I almost forgot to mention that Long Meadow Farms has city sewer which is huge!!!!!!!

8. Lastly, I did some research on the homes that are built in Long Meadow Farms. They all sold for around 2 million dollars. I thought this would be a great opportunity to build a 1 million dollar home surrounded by bigger and more expensive homes. You never want to be the biggest or the most expensive in the community.

Long story short, I would recommend that you speak to some of the home owners in Long Meadow Farms. The young couple I met were very, very sweet and they love their home. They were at their pool with their two young children and I just walked up and asked if I could ask them a few questions about the neighborhood. They are very happy there and that was the clincher for me.

I know that I got a steal on my lot and once the economy picks up and the neighborhood is built-out I will be sitting pretty! I hope my long drawn out answer helps. I was in the same boat you are and I am very secure in the decision I made. If you would like to speak to me, just let me know and I would be more than happy to speak with you privately.
Hi Ross

I am considering a purchase in this neighborhood. I was wondering if I can speak with you for feedback..Regards PR
Flag Wed Nov 7, 2012
trulia should shut down old posts like this...
This question is from 2011, FYI
Yes, I know it's from 2011. The sub-division is still lacking movement so I wanted to some feedback about it.
Flag Thu Apr 25, 2013
Any one has any updates about this community? Seems like it's been slow here since 2009. And now there are 4 different builders with different price ranges.

What's the approximate tax saving here for being unincorporated? I am still new to this unincorporated term so not sure how everything works. Some of the listing shows Water is private - what does that mean?
The subdivision is directly next to my personal residence. Terrific school district, home sizes start at about 3,500 square feet and go up to 6,000+. The subdivision is actually unincorporated Lake Zurich, but the developer calls it Long Grove. Great value in our current market!
Here is a link to Google map on the proposed expansion
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0…
If someone has $1.5 or 2M to buy or build a house and obviously money isnt a problem, why not buy in Lake Forest? Taxes are way lower on a per thousand basis, schools excellent and there is greater liquidity and proximity to expressway and trains. I see cash deals in LF and deals are closing in this price range Rt53 is going to happen someday. If you want a country estate LG is great, however for the same same price point you can buy in LF and have lower taxes and closer to city and transportation.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 21, 2011
Here are the five active homes for sale I copy pasted from the MLS. you can google the MLS numbers and find websites with photos if you like. In my honest opinion, you can do better for $1M in Long grove elsewhere. Acre lots with private wells in this price point are a tough sell, when many transferee buyers want a 1/4-1/2 acre lot city water and less rural character if they have little kids. Also jumbo loans are tough to get and at this price point you are looking at people putting down 400k, borrowing 600k jumbo rate loan.
Call me if you care to discuss. If you found my post helpful please mark best answer and thumbs up. thanks!

MLS # Stat Street # CP Str Name Sfx Area LP/SP # Rms All Beds Baths Type SCI Photo Info
1 07702938 ACTV 20109 W Old Meadow Trl 47 $984,000 11 4 4 2 Stories
2 07497879 ACTV 23721 N Curtis Ct. 47 $998,000 11 4 3.1 2 Stories
3 07499864 ACTV 23682 N Curtis Ct 47 $998,000 11 4 3.1 2 Stories N
4 07702957 ACTV 23640 N Curtis Ct 47 $999,000 10 4 3.1 2 Stories N
5 07549567 ACTV 19885 Stone Pond Ln 47 $1,299,900 11 4 4 2
To answer your other question, Prairie Trails is in a great location. White Oak Estates is safe because they have Long Meadow Farms in between them and the expressway.
I have a map of where the proposed extension would be. When you are driving around Long Grove/Hawthorn Woods and you see those green signs on the side of the road that say F.A.P. 362 that's where the expressway will be going through. You see those signs on Cuba East, (east of S Krueger & west of Old McHenry)and also on Old McHenry Rd (just north of Rt 22 & south of Kemper golf course). The signs are also on Rt 22 just east of Kemper as well.
I also have some knowledge of why the new construction at Quentin & Rt 22 are not selling (Hawthorn Trails & Coventry Creek, both dist 96/125). I'd be happy to let you in on that if you like.

Kathy
Kathy,

Thanks for your response. Where can I find out more about anything related to the extension. I mean White Oak Estates, Long Meadow Farms, and Prairie Trails all are about the same location. They all effectively back up to one another. Would you say the same thing about the other two subdivisions?

I had heard the proposed 53 extension was through what today is the Kemper Lakes Campus with at least a 5-7 year study ahead of us before another referendum would come up to approve a build.
Hi there,

I've seen so many posts from you before.. you really are doing your due diligence before deciding on an area to live... it's very commendable = )
The one thing to be careful of in that subdivision is just north of it is where the proposed Rt 53 extension would be, which tends to turn buyers off. Ravenna has slow sales because while it is Stevenson HS it has Mundelein grade schools as opposed to neighboring communities which attend award winning Dist 96.

If you ever have another question I'd be happy to take your question directly at kathy.diegel@cbexchange.com

Take Care,

Kathy Diegel
Coldwell Banker Residential