Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Sandy, Both Buyer and Seller in Missouri

What do I put in the "search" criteria to find in-law quarters?

Asked by Sandy, Missouri Tue May 1, 2012

Answers

6
Tim Page’s answer
Mother-in-law quarters
Mother-in-law- suite
Guest home
Second home
Two homes
Second kitchen
Two kitchens
Two homes
2 homes
In-law quarters
In-law suite
Unique home

Try these in the searches and/or give to your Realtor. Sometimes the less data you put into the field, the better chance you'll have to find something that will work. Good luck.
Sandy, the feature of mother in law or apartment falls under additional rooms. Some consumer sites may have this search option and others not.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
941.313.1234
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com

If you'd like to search the MLS like an agent in real time, you can visit our website and sign up for a free Listing Book account. You will be able to change the search criteria to suit yourself and received morning reports regarding new listings, price changes and recent pendings.
I would talk to a realtor. We can do that in our MLS system (not sure about Florida's) and they will send you updated daily emails. Trulia is one of the better sites, but please know that there is still a lag between the day the property is listed and the day it hits Trulia. Normally 2-3 days, so for hot properties, it is important you see them first.
Hey Sandy, I have been wondering the same thing! My first goal is to find a garage apartment or in-law quarters already built in a neighborhood that I like. If that doesn't work, I would find a house with a big enough lot that it could support a separate building. Check out the book In-laws, Outlaws, and Granny Flats by Michael Litchfield! It talks all about turning one home into two, for either aging relatives or maybe college kids moving back in on their folks.
Hello Sandy,

Unfortunately there really is not a search function on Trulia for a in-law quarters. I would suggest contact a local Realtor to assist you in finding a home with one. Realtors have much better access to information and will make find a home with a in-law quarters much easier.

Please feel free to call or email with any questions you may have. Good luck!

Andrew Schmitt
Yellowfin Realty
Sales Associate / Property Manager
andrew.yellowfinrealty@gmail.com
http://www.andysellstampabay.com
look under realtor info or under additional rooms, as that is where we realtors would put that in fla. May just have to have an agent do some research for you, though