Home Buying in Tucson>Question Details

Betty, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

What do I need to know about buying a new construction home in Tucson, particularly those in retirement communities?

Asked by Betty, Tucson, AZ Tue Aug 7, 2012

Hi Betty,
When buying a home it is important to know the Price vs Cost per month. With New Construction for example, builders may offer incentives with their financing. You can research loan options with a lender of your choice beforehand so that you can compare the benefits/advantages of each and determine what is best for you. Be sure to also know the HOA's monthly fee and if there any other assessments as well.
More items to consider are Location & Lifestyle, especially in a retirement community. Would you like to be able to walk to the community park, pool, or community center? See mountain or golf views from your patio? Have sunset or sunrise exposures? Be close to your favorite restaurants or neighborhood grocery store?
Lots to review & consider! Your Realtor can help guide you through the purchase process to find the right retirement community and new home for you.
Happy House Hunting!
Web Reference: http://Www.aprilortiz.com
Great question. You should always seek representation from a Real Estate professional in any Real Estate transaction. I had been a site salesperson for over 15 years and my job was to provide the best service for customers who walks in the sales office, however, I was to protect the Builder's interest. Most of the Builder's salespeople are very good at what they do, but they do work for the Builder so it would be beneficial to you to have representation on your side because it is a process. Please let me know what I can do to help.

I would have to agree with everyone here on this forum about highly recommending having an agent represent you in your purchase on a new construction home.

1. Builder will pay your agent IF you have your agent sign you in on your first visit to the site. Some site agents will also let you put your agent's name on the form if you just do a "pop in" on your own. Some builders are agent friendly, but some really stick to this rule. Best thing to do is to let the site agent know on your first visit that you have a real estate agent representing you. If they demand that the agent be present, then walk away; if they won't share information freely, it's a red flag.

2. You will have your own representative who will give you an objective opinion on floor plan, upgrades, lot premiums, etc. These are areas where builders have their greatest profit margin and will try to push some to increase their profits. They're in business to make money, right?

3. You will have an agnet who can discuss with you how the choices you make at purchase will affect your re-sale potential (what to spend $$$ on for upgrades and what will not affect your future value). Which upgrades are worth it vs. which ones are not? Which lot is better vs. another?

That said, 90% of the time, a buyer's agent will not appear to do very much for a buyer on new construction. The process goes great, the builder's agent communicates everything, and the process is a lot of fun.

It's that 10% of the time where something goes wrong that, if you don't have an agent, you will wish you did.

Matthew Tennyson, CRS, GRI
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Southern Arizona
It depends on what your needs and wants are in a retirement community with new construction. First of all you want to be sure they are still building in the retirement community you are seeking. Do you like the facilities to have a pool, fitness classes, fitness room with weights and cardio machines, tennis courts, cafe, massuse on the premises, committees, seminars, concerts, etc.? I worked in an Active Adult Community, contact me, I can help you search for what your looking for - AzProperties@Ymail.com or 520-471-4711.
What I can tell you is having a Licensed Realtor represent you and your interests will most likely provide you with the most neogeation arena.
You have more options with your choices working with a realtor. You will be represented with the knowledge and experience to lead you through the paperwork from begining to end and end up with the home you want.
Many of the backround permissions for the developer are public record.
Look into the history of the developers and the builders.

To be of service to you ,
Meridith little
Always hire a Realtor when working with new construction. The sales staff at any builder's site works for the builder and that is whom they owe their loyalty, fiduciary responsibility and whom they represent. They will most always treat you fairly, but they do not work for you at the site sales office.

I have been selling greater Tucson since 1985 and know the area very well. Feel free to call me if you have any questions at 520-907-2218.

Bill Jones
SellingTucson since 1985.
Richard is right. Your best bet is to hire a Realtor to represent you. Someone who specializes in the area. They can give you great input on the community, the best locations, etc. They are paid by the builder so there is no cost to you. I always suggest to my clients when they are buying a new home to have a home inspection as you would on any home. It is best to find out what the issues are before you move in. If you are interested in SaddleBrooke or SaddleBrooke Ranch I am more than happy to help you. I have lived in SaddleBrooke for 5 years and work this area exclusively.
Great question for your Realtor, if you don't have one yet please review the profiles of agents that took the time to reply. If you click on my profile you can read reviews from 35 past clients. Make sure to bring your agent with you when looking at new home construction because they will try & cut them out of the loop. I would be very careful when buying from the builder where they are builder, listing agent, buyers agent, & financing which many try to do. Good luck.
The first thing you need to do is hire a full time Realtor to represent you and give you all the information. We work for you, but are paid by the seller. We can go through everything and make sure you get the best deal possible. Without someone on you side, you are dealing with someone that only represents the seller/developer and is probably not a licensed Realtor, just an employee. Let me know if we can help. I have lived in Az since 1972 and have lived in Phoenix and Tucson. I have also traveled the whole state for many years. Let me know, Ric Mills 520-548-8940 , rmills@gotucson.com